A mum was heard frantically screaming for her son shortly before he was tragically found dead in a river, neighbours said today.

She shouted "the back door was open" at around 5.30am today, waking up people living nearby.

Police in Bridgend are investigating how the boy ended up in the water and dozens of officers have been at the scene.

One neighbour said: "I could hear the mum screaming for her son. She was shouting 'the back door was open' and calling for him.

"A short while later the old bill turned up and they've been here ever since."

Large parts of Pandy Park in Sarn, Bridgend, were sealed off as police forensics teams carried out a fingertip search of the area.

Neighbours said they were awakened by a mum screaming for her son (



Other neighbours on the row of terraced flats said they were woken by shouts coming from the downstairs property.

One woman said: "I could hear a row going off. I think the mother was on the phone to the police."

Another woman said: "The police have been going door-to-door and asking questions and they've been looking in the park all day."

South Wales Police said they were called to the scene at around 5.45am where the child was found in the River Ogmore, near Pandy Park.

He was taken to the Princess of Wales Hospital in Bridgend, where he was confirmed dead.

Police are investigating how the boy came to be in the water (



Detectives have appealed for witnesses but urged the public not to speculate on the on-going investigation.

They say the boy's family is being supported by specially trained officers.

Chief Inspector Geraint White said: "This is a tragic incident in which a young child has sadly lost their life.

'"We are appealing for anyone who may have witnessed this incident, or who has any information, to get in touch. We would ask the public not to speculate about this incident on social media as this is an active investigation.

"If you have any information that can help, please report this to us. Our thoughts are with the family and we are supporting them in every way we can."

Anyone with information has been urged to contact South Wales Police.