A mum of two has credited Marcus Rashford's school meals campaign for helping her feed her little boys.
Tory MPs voted against extending a scheme to provide free school meals for eligible children through the school holidays, inspired by a memorable campaign by the Manchester United and England football star.
Back in June, the government made a dramatic u-turn, announcing a one-off £120million fund to benefit around 1.3 million children in England over the six week summer break after the striker spoke out and generated enormous public pressure.
But an extension to the scheme has been denied, leaving many families anxious over the school holidays.
Receive newsletters with the latest news, sport and what's on updates from the Liverpool ECHO by signing up here.
The Mirror reports Beth Fretwell, 25, who has lost her job, was unable to buy food for her children after moving into a new home in Chesterfield, Derbyshire.
She explained: "Having to buy beds, a cooker and fridge freezer left me with nothing.
“I saw on Tuesday Marcus had tweeted that Chesterfield Football Club's Community Trust was giving out free lunches. I rang and the club told me food was waiting for us."
Beth said: "I was overwhelmed by kindness. The boys loved their lunch. We ate it on the bare floor.
"I can’t afford carpet yet, but felt so grateful I tweeted a photo and my thanks."
In her tweet thanking the football star, Beth shared a photo of her boys Joshua, seven, and Ashton-Lewis, four, eating their packed lunches. The tweet was inundated with hundreds of offers of help from strangers.
Enter your postcode below to claim a free scratchcard:
The moving message in which she wrote of “two happy boys going to bed with a full belly” got more than 45,000 likes and countless offers of help on the social media platform.
Manchester United striker Marcus, 22, is campaigning to get free meals for needy kids children during the school holidays.
The football star's petition to help vulnerable kids get free meals in the school holidays has hit a million signatures.
The campaign on Parliament's website passed the milestone today two weeks after it was launched by the England footballer.
Rashford, who was awarded an MBE for his work helping hungry kids, has called for a three-pronged approach to help children in the holidays.
But Tory ministers have refused to provide any extra help over half-term, which started this week, including £15-a-week vouchers seen earlier this year.