A mother died after falling from the balcony of a flat as her four children said their goodbyes at her hospital bedside.

Terri Davison, 33, suffered head injuries in the fall from a block of flats in Throckley, Newcastle, two weeks ago.

The 'devoted' mum was taken to Royal Victoria Infirmary where doctors told her family nothing could be done to save her.

Her children Josh, 11, Amie, 10, Sophie, six and Joey, four, later said their goodbyes to their mum in hospital.

Terri's mum, Lynne Davison,  said she plans to raise her grandchildren alone as she has paid tribute to her daughter, reports Chronicle Live.

The 59-year-old said: "She devoted her life to the children. Terri was the biggest, loudest, bubbliest character you could ever know. She was a brilliant mother, she was amazing.

"I just want to keep her memory alive now and give them the best life they can have and do all the things Terri always wanted to do with them.

"I have got to do it for her. My life is now about looking after her children."

Terri Davison Woodmass who died after falling from a balcony, with her daughter

Terri and her children lived next door to Lynne in the Newburn area of Newcastle and they would all see each other daily.

But when Lynne, who works as an operations manager at a construction site, returned home from work in the evening of Wednesday March 18 she was surprised to discover her daughter and grandchildren were not home.

Terri told her mum she'd taken the family to the home of some her children's friends.

Then at around midnight Lynne got a phonecall from her eldest grandson Josh who frantically told her his mum had fallen off a balcony and her head was bleeding. The distraught grandmother was able to get a lift to the flats, on Coach Road in Throckley.

"As Josh was talking I could hear all the sirens going past," Lynne explained. "When I got there Terri was lying on the ground, and I just knew she wasn't going to survive."

When Terri arrived at the RVI doctors were at first hopeful they they might be able to operate and save her life.

But after further tests they told Lynne and the children that there was nothing more they could do, and Terri passed away two days later.

"The consultant sat the children down and explained that their mammy wasn't going to live," said Lynne. "They all said goodbye to her. They are heartbroken but they have been amazing."

Terri was taken to Royal Victoria Infirmary where medics told her frantic family nothing could be done to save her

Terri's funeral will be held at Newcastle's West Road Crematorium on Friday.

However, due to restrictions imposed because of the coronavirus pandemic the service is limited to just 20 mourners.

And the family is now hoping to stream the funeral live on Facebook so that Terri's many friends can be a part of it.

The lockdown has also made it difficult for Terri's loved ones to cope with their grief.

"We are all grieving and it's a time when you want everyone around you but you can't," said Lynne. "As people are finding out we are speaking two metres apart and they are saying; 'I want to give you a hug but I can't.

"The children are all coping in their own way. Joey was a real mammy's boy. He wouldn't eave her side so it's really difficult. He just keeps saying 'is mammy still at the doctors? An is she going to come home?

"But I'm just being honest with them."

As Lynne struggles to come to terms with her daughter's death she is tormented by questions about what happened on the night she fell.

Police say they are not treating Terri's death as suspicious and an inquest will be held.

But Lynne remains confused about why her daughter was out so late with her children on a school night.

Read More

Top news stories from Mirror Online

And she says although Terri has struggled with mental health problems in the past she had been in good spirits recently, and she does not believe she would have taken her own life.

"The kids are blaming themselves because Terri was saying she wanted to go home but the kids wanted to stay for a sleepover. They knew the lockdown was coming-up so they just wanted to stay and play with their friends," she said.

"She does have mental health issues and we have been fighting for years to get a diagnosis. She did have to odd moment when things got too much for her, but she was 100% ok the last time I spoke to her. She was in a better place than she had ever been for years and years.

"There's no way in this entire world that she would ever take her own life. She devoted her whole life to those children and she would never leave them."

A  Northumbria Police  spokeswoman said: " “At 11.43 pm on March 18, we received of concern for a woman at an address in Newburn, Newcastle.

“Emergency services attended the address and paramedics treated a woman in her 30s who had fallen from a first floor balcony.

“She was transported to the RVI but sadly later died of her injuries. There is not believed to be any third party involvement and a report has been prepared for the coroner.”