A vicious ex-boyfriend locked a "petrified" mum in his home before subjecting her to "extreme violence".

Kevin Currie attacked his former partner with a knife, wooden bat and metal saucepan over "many hours".

The woman's overnight ordeal at his house in Lunt Road, Bootle featured "drowning, suffocation and strangulation".

READ MORE: Home invader climbed up drainpipe into woman's flat

A judge said the vodka-guzzling brute even threatened to "burn her children to death".

Finally she managed to call police, who found her covered in blood and mouthing for help.

Recorder Daniel Prowse said Currie phoned his ex-partner - who the ECHO has chosen not to name - "telling her you were upset, having had your child removed from your care".

The judge said: "You told her you were suicidal, you needed help, you needed to speak to her and needed to see her."

He said the "worried" victim wanted to help, so agreed to meet the 37-year-old in a public place - a pub - where they spent a couple of hours on the evening of June 14 this year.

Liverpool Crown Court heard Currie then asked her to walk back to his house, where he promised to call her a taxi.

The judge said: "Once she was inside, asking you to call a taxi as you promised, you locked her in. You refused to call her taxi. Instead you got angry.

Liverpool's courts are some of the busiest in the UK, with a huge variety of cases being heard each week.

To get a behind the scenes look at how they work and the moments that don't make our stories, subscribe to our free weekly Echo Court Files newsletter, written by court reporters Neil Docking and Lauren Wise.

How do I sign up?

It's free, easy and takes no time at all.

  1. First just click on this link to our newsletter sign-up centre.
  2. Once you're there, put your email address where it says at the top, then click on the Echo Court Files button. There are other newsletters available too if you want them as well.
  3. When you've made your choice, press the Save Changes button at the bottom.

"What then followed was a protracted incident of extreme violence."

Recorder Prowse said Currie began by punching her repeatedly in the face and kicking her, then apologised, before he "would do it again".

He said Currie banged her head on the floor and she lost consciousness.

The woman woke to find him slapping her face.

The court heard Currie then strangled her, "mocking her", and she couldn't breathe.

Graham Pickavance, prosecuting, said police received a call from a neighbour at 9.15am on June 15, saying they had heard a man shouting at a woman, who was crying.

There are three ways to get more involved with the Liverpool Echo - sign up now to all of them to get the hat trick!

* See all our our brilliant newsletters and sign up by clicking here

* Download our free app for iPhone or for Android to take the news with you

We're made up that you read the Echo - so want to offer you great opportunities to Complete The Set and get more involved now!

Police attended the house, but Currie prevented the victim from calling out and the officers left.

Recorder Prowse said Currie continued his attack by forcing her head and face into a large pan of water.

He said: "She believed you were trying to drown her."

The judge said Currie had "used a wooden bat to repeatedly strike her on the arm" and a saucepan to hit her on the head.

He "tried to stab her" with a knife, but only struck her with the weapon, before he dragged her around by the hair and used his hands to suffocate her.

Recorder Prowse said he called his victim "ugly" and "fat", and said he would kill her and her family.

He said: "You told her you would arrange for her home to be petrol bombed whilst her children were inside - a threat in effect to burn her children to death."

He said Currie was "drinking vodka straight from the bottle" and the victim tried to pour it away.

She eventually managed to call the police at around 2.25pm, before Currie smashed her phone.

Mr Pickavance said an officer banged on the door until she came to the window, when "her clothes were clearly covered in blood and she mouthed to him that she couldn't open the door".

Currie answered the door and was arrested after police found his injured victim "shaking and crying".

Recorder Prowse said when interviewed he gave a prepared statement and "sought to explain away any injuries she had by saying you had to restrain her because she was attacking you".

The victim was taken to hospital with a two inch cut to her scalp, which contained glass that had to be removed before it could be closed with staples.

Recorder Prowse said photos showed she also suffered bruises to her face, head, neck, chest, arms and back, many "in the shape of handprints".

The judge said: "She describe being bruised everywhere and her whole body being painful."

The woman now has a scar to her scalp, a lump on her face and a mark under an eye, which she covers with makeup.

Pictured is Liverpool Crown Court

We have launched a Facebook group to bring you the latest stories from court all in one place.

It will feature reports from Liverpool Crown Court and cases connected to Merseyside.

To join and get updates, click here.

Recorder Prowse said she couldn't leave her home for four weeks or see her children because of how she looked.

He said she suffered nightmares and underwent counselling, while her worried children were also affected "by the state their mother has been left in" and now check doors and windows are locked and sleep in the same bed as her.

The judge said the woman was moving house because she was concerned for their safety.

Recorder Prowse said: "This was a vicious, protracted attack on a woman using multiple weapons that featured drowning, suffocation and strangulation - a woman who because of what you were doing believed, reasonably, you were going to kill her and her children and her family.

"She was left physically injured and physically scarred and the trauma of that night has extended to her children."

Currie was charged with inflicting grievous bodily harm with intent, false imprisonment, threats to kill and criminal damage.

Kevin Currie, 37, of Lunt Road, Bootle
Kevin Currie, 37, of Lunt Road, Bootle

But prosecutors accepted his guilty pleas to the lesser offences of inflicting grievous bodily harm and assault causing actual bodily harm.

Inflicting grievous bodily harm has a maximum sentence of five years in jail, before a judge has to apply a reduction for a guilty plea.

Currie's previous convictions include assault causing actual bodily harm, assaults on police, racially aggravated threats of violence and in 2015 a battery against a former partner.

Keith Sutton, defending, said his client's "problem with alcohol" was "the root cause" of his crimes and he had previously undergone domestic violence and alcohol treatment courses.

He said Currie, who has a son, needed more help to overcome these problems and was "keen in fact to do so".

If you are suffering from problems with alcohol, there are many helplines which may be able to support you.

Talk to FRANK

You can ring FRANK anytime and speak to a friendly adviser who's professionally trained to give you straight up, unbiased information about drugs and alcohol.

It's totally confidential – we won't ask for your name or repeat your conversation with others.

Freephone: 0300 123 6600



Offers advice and information for people worried about their own drinking, and support to the family and friends of people who are drinking.

Helpline: 0300 123 1110

Recorder Prowse said the attack was a "violation of trust" because Currie's victim had met up to help him.

He jailed Currie for three years and four months, then imposed an indefinite restraining order.

The judge said he was "very troubled" by the risk Currie posed and would have passed an extended sentence, but this wasn't possible with a sentence of less than four years.

He said: "I want to make something abundantly clear to you - had the length of this sentence permitted it, I would have found you dangerous."

If you have been affected by any issues mentioned in this article, you can contact the Domestic Violence Helpline for free on 0808 2000 247 or any of the following organisations:

Women’s Aid


White Ribbon


People can also call Merseyside Police on 101 or, if they are in immediate danger, call 999.

Receive newsletters with the latest news, sport and what's on updates from the Liverpool ECHO by signing up here