A woman 'brutally' and 'painfully' murdered her husband by pouring boiling water and sugar over him.

Corinna Baines, 59, was today found guilty of killing her 81-year-old husband at their home in Highfield Road, in Neston.

The mum killed Michael Baines, on July 14, 2020, after a family dispute. The pair had been married for 38 years.

At the time of the murder in their home, Corinna Baines was also her husband's carer.

Both had children from previous relationships and one son together.

On the day before the killing, there was a dispute between Mrs Baines, her daughter and Mr Baines.

READ MORE: Schoolgirl, 11, suddenly dies at her Merseyside home

The Crown Prosecution Service said in court that the basis of this dispute was never confirmed.

Mrs Baines murdered her husband shortly after midnight on the morning of July 14, after filling a garden bucket with boiling water and mixing in sugar.

She boiled two kettles' worth of water and added three bags of sugar into the bucket.

Mr Baines added the sugar to the water to make the liquid thicker and stickier so that it would cause greater damage.

The contents of the bucket were then poured over Mr Baines when he was lying in bed and he received burns to more than a third of his body.

READ MORE: Child given Lego box full of cocaine as birthday present

He was later taken to Whiston Hospital Burns Unit, was stabilised in the critical care unit and later in the high dependency unit.

He was in hospital for 5 weeks, being treated for his injuries and for various complications but died on August 18, 2020.

The court heard that Mrs Baines had been shopping with her daughter the day before the killing.

Her husband rang her later in the day and seemed impatient for her to come home and her daughter criticised his treatment of her.

Mrs Baines was said to be livid at the time but appeared to have calmed down when her daughter and her son-in-law took her home later.

READ MORE: Daughter left with second degree burns after park bike ride

However, as the evening went on, she rang other relatives to talk about what had happened and eventually carried out the murder.

A witness who lived near to the couple said Mrs Baines left the house and went into a neighbour's house sobbing and saying: "I've hurt him, I've hurt him really bad. I think I’ve killed him."

When police attended the scene they found Mr Baines in the house, moaning and in extreme pain.

Mrs Baines changed her story initially but then admitted what she had done when her husband died, but said she had done it when she had lost control.

Liverpool's courts are some of the busiest in the UK, with a huge variety of cases being heard each week.

To get a behind the scenes look at how they work and the moments that don't make our stories, subscribe to our free weekly Echo Court Files newsletter, written by court reporters Neil Docking and Lauren Wise.

How do I sign up?

It's free, easy and takes no time at all.

  1. First just click on this link to our newsletter sign-up centre.
  2. Once you're there, put your email address where it says at the top, then click on the Echo Court Files button. There are other newsletters available too if you want them as well.
  3. When you've made your choice, press the Save Changes button at the bottom.

Today, Tuesday, June 5, after a trial at Chester Crown Court, a jury found her guilty of murder. She will be sentenced on July 9, 2021.

Crown advocate Jayne Morris of CPS Mersey Cheshire said: "Corinna Baines killed Michael Baines in a particularly brutal and painful way.

"She confessed to the manslaughter of her husband but the CPS refused to accept that. The CPS case was that her actions were deliberate and considered. She was clearly upset about the dispute between herself, her daughter and her husband but the evidence demonstrated that she was in control and acted in anger when she poured the lethal mixture over her husband and wanted to extract vengeance.

"The Crown Prosecution Service said she intended either to kill Michael or to cause him really serious harm and so pursued a prosecution for murder.

"The jury have agreed with us and found her guilty. This is a tragic case that has devastated the family of Mr and Mrs Baines and our thoughts remain with them."