MOTOGP rider Andrea Iannone has been banned for 18-months after failing a drugs test.
The Italian tested positive for a banned substance after a routine check during last November's Malaysian MotoGP, which he says came through contaminated meat.
The ban, which is backdated to December 17 and will rule him out of all this season, does not expire until next summer.
However, the 30-year-old is expected to challenge the decision and launch an appeal at the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
He said: "Seeing my innocence [of the accidental consumption through food] recognised is a victory. It could have been much worse.
"This is the first case of suspension for food contamination. None of us know for sure what we eat.
"There is an inconsistency between the regulations and real life. The goal now is to get back on the bike as quickly as possible."
A statement from MotoGP's governing body, FIM, said: "The FIM International Disciplinary Court (CDI) handed down on 31 March 2020 a decision imposing a period of ineligibility of 18 months on Italian MotoGP rider Andrea Iannone.
The sentence leaves us baffled because of the penalty levied against Andrea, but also very satisfied in its motivations.Aprilia Racing's Massimo Rivola
"Following a routine in-Competition doping test conducted at the round of the FIM Grand Prix World Championship held in Sepang, Malaysia on 3 November 2019, Mr. Andrea Iannone tested positive for Drostanolone metabolite, a WADA prohibited substance.
"An appeal against the CDI decision may be lodged before the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Lausanne, Switzerland within 21 days from the date of receipt of the CDI decision."
Aprilia Racing boss, Massimo Rivola, says he was stunned by the decision to ban his factory rider.
Rivola says that Iannone should have been acquitted after judges accepted the claim the banned steroid had been consumed accidentally through meat.
AST & FURIOUSAston Martin to make F1 return next season after £536m fundraising campaign
CORONAVIRUS IN SPORTMurray wants Wimbo axed, Paige trains naked & Neymar's £7m lockdown
WHEELS ARE OFFBrit F1 GP chiefs to decide whether Silverstone will be axed by end of month
MIKE FLASH-LEYAshley boasts 33-bed London mansion and holiday homes in Spain and Miami
GREEN LIGTMan Utd re-enter de Ligt hunt after Juventus defender failed to settle in Italy
RONBELIEVABLERonaldo shows off ripped physique sending fans wild while in corona lockdown
ACE RAIDEDAshley Cole attacked at home by gang of masked robbers who stole his jewellery
He added: "The sentence leaves us baffled because of the penalty levied against Andrea, but also very satisfied in its motivations.
"The judges recognised Andrea's complete good faith and unawareness of assuming the substance, confirming the food contamination argument.
"For this reason, the penalty imposed does not make any sense. In light of the motivations written by the judges themselves, Andrea should have been acquitted.
"We want Andrea back. We will be by his side all the way to the end of this matter and we will support him in his appeal."