A callous killer locked up for knifing a 16-year-old boy to death is back walking the streets after serving just 12 years in prison, the Manchester Evening News can reveal.

Shane Boyd was sentenced to life after being found guilty of the murder of Conor Black in 2008.

He attacked the teen with a full can of beer, smashing it into his head, before stabbing Conor in the back as he tried to stumble away.

READ MORE: Female prison officer jailed for illicit love affair with murderer Shane Boyd

Boyd then bragged of his attack in front of onlookers, throwing his hands up into the air and shouting 'I'm the man'.

Conor, a former pupil of North Manchester High School for Boys, collapsed on a grass verge outside a house in Moston and died.

Boyd pleaded guilty to manslaughter, but denied murder claiming he acted in self-defence.

Shane Boyd
Shane Boyd knifed Conor Black from behind then celebrated shouting 'I'm the man'

A jury saw through his lies and convicted him following a trial in 2009.

Sentencing Boyd at the time, Judge Clement Goldstone said the killing was "truly wicked and shows you in the true colours of a coward."

Because Boyd was himself only 16-years-old at the time, Judge Goldstone imposed a life sentence but with a minimum term of 11 years.

Conor's family, who were present in court throughout, say Judge Goldstone told Boyd his minimum term would have been 22 years if he had been an adult.

Now they have learned that Boyd has been allowed free from prison - but only because friends believe they spotted him in Moston.

Conor's relatives, who have asked not to be identified due to fear of reprisals, say pals believe they saw Boyd 'chilling' in a car near to the scene of the murder on Moston Lane earlier this month.

Conor Black
The family of Conor Black only found out Boyd was out on day release after friends believe they spotted him in Moston

The family reported the alleged sighting to Her Majesty's Prison and Probation Service (HMPPS).

It is understood HMPPS has since confirmed Boyd was granted Release on Temporary Licence (ROTL) on several occasions in recent months and the family have received an apology that they were not given prior warning.

'Urgent action' to rectify the miscommunication with Conor's family has since been taken, the MEN understands.

Conor was 16 when he was stabbed to death - his killer could be out by the end of the year

It is believed a Parole Board hearing to consider Boyd's fitness for full release could happen before the end of year.

Conor's family have been left feeling furious at both the communication failure and the potential for Boyd to have his freedom back.

"We knew it was coming [Boyd's release]," said a family member.

"We were expecting it [eventually], but obviously we feel frightened, he's made previous threats.

"The lack of communication from the Prison Service has been the issue - how did they not know he was coming out?"

Boyd was twice caught using a phone to post pictures online in prison

If Boyd's release goes ahead before the end of 2021, he will be a free man before turning 30 years old.

"It's not enough for taking a life," said Conor's relatives.

"Especially because we don't believe he has been rehabilitated."

Boyd has continued to make headlines during his time inside.

It is understood he served his first seven years in a juvenile facility before being moved to an adult prison.

Within months of starting his sentence at Ashfield Young Offenders Institution near Bristol he was posting pictures on Facebook using an illicit mobile phone behind bars.

And in 2012 he was caught doing the same thing again, this time creating a profile under the name 'Ben Smith' to post a threat of revenge.

"All them snakes wil (sic) get what’s coming to them out next year," he wrote.

Kiah Andrusjak was jailed over a love affair with Boyd while he was in Strangeways

While locked up at Strangeways in 2017, Boyd managed to seduce a female prison officer who began an 'intense' love affair that landed her in jail.

Kiah Andrusjak, 25, fell for then 24-year-old Boyd while he was on mop duty and stuck up for her when she was 'disrespected' by other inmates.

The guard exchanged hundreds of texts with Boyd before she was caught trying to smuggle cigarettes and keepsake photographs inside for him.

Andrusjak was jailed for eight years by a judge who told her the ‘betrayal of trust’ was serious and that crimes like hers ‘undermined public confidence’.

"We don't feel Boyd has shown any signs of remorse or rehabilitation," said Conor's family.

"We think he's kept his head down in the last three or four years to make sure he gets released.

Conor was his mum's only child and she remains devastated by his death

"We still see him as the remorseless killer he always was.

"He's going to kill again - he thinks he's invincible."

While Boyd is preparing to rediscover his freedom, Conor's family are still picking up the pieces 13 years after his murder.

Conor was his mum's only child.

"She really struggles," said a relative.

"She was a single mum and Conor carried the family name.

"To her it's like [Conor's murder] happened yesterday, the grief, the impact."

Conor's family say 12 years is not long enough for having taken a life in such brutal fashion

Relatives say the prospect of Boyd being free, and potentially back in the Moston area, has left Conor's mum terrified.

"She worries she will see him in ASDA or something," relatives said.

"She should be able to go and do her shopping without worrying.

"Every time [Boyd] does something it's like Conor has died all over again."

A spokesperson for the Ministry of Justice said: "We understand the distress prisoners being released on temporary licence can cause victims and their families, but it is an important part of rehabilitation which can help to prevent reoffending.

"All such offenders are carefully risk assessed and face return to closed prison if they do not obey strict conditions."

To get the latest email updates from the Manchester Evening News, click here.