The Duchess of Sussex's privacy trial against the Mail on Sunday has been delayed by nine months to autumn 2021 after her team gave “a confidential ground” for doing so, it has been confirmed.
The confirmation comes after it was reported that Meghan was seeking to delay the January start of the trial in her privacy lawsuit against the newspaper over its publication of excerpts from a letter she wrote to her father.
Meghan's request was considered by High Court Judge Mark Warby during an online hearing.
The news comes after Meghan lost her bid to prevent the Mail on Sunday from using the biography Finding Freedom in the legal battle.
In the latest stage of the process, Associated Newspapers sought permission to extend their defence on the basis that Meghan had “lost her rights to privacy in the contents of the letter” because “she and her husband cooperated with the authors” of Finding Freedom to put out “their version of events”.
A spokesperson for the couple has told The Independent on numerous occasions that they were not involved with the writing of Finding Freedom and that the book was based on interviews conducted by co-authors Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand in addition to their own experiences in the royal household.
Meghan’s lawyers have previously said that accusations the couple “collaborated” with the authors was a “conspiracy theory” and argued that references to the letter in the book were simply “extracts from the letter lifted from the defendant's own articles”.