Meghan Markle ’s dad has urged his daughter and Prince Harry to let him meet his grandson after they moved to Los Angeles – just 155 miles from him.
The 75-year-old lives a short hop across the border in Rosarito, Mexico from California where it was recently revealed Meghan, Harry and Archie have moved to.
The Sussexes reportedly upped sticks from their Canada bolthole to move to the glitz and glamour of LA as they prepare to quit the Royal Family on March 31.
The move means Thomas’s daughter, son-in-law and grandson are now closer than ever to him – but he has not spoken to Meghan since the Royal Wedding, and has yet to meet Harry and Archie.
And due to the coronavirus pandemic gripping the US, Thomas is now preparing to go into self-isolation as he is at high risk due to a heart condition.
But despite the isolation meaning he cannot physically see his family, Thomas is now pleading with the Sussexes to make contact with him – saying the virus outbreak shows “life is too short”.
In an exclusive interview with the Sunday Mirror, he said: “I am in the high risk category, but now a number of young people are also coming down with it.
“If I could say anything to Harry and Meghan right now it is that life is too short.
“I would certainly tell them to be careful and I would tell them that I love them.
“This is the time to think about what is really important in life - it’s too short and unpredictable.
“While we have to isolate physically, there is no reason to isolate personally from each other at this time.”
Thomas said he is especially desperate to see his 10-month-old grandson for the first time, and has pleaded to Harry and Meghan for forgiveness.
He hasn’t spoken to Meghan and Harry since shortly before the Royal Wedding, when they fell out after he was caught posing for staged paparazzi pictures which he made money from.
He then suffered a heart attack days before the big day in May 2018, forcing him to pull out of the wedding.
But Thomas wants to remind the couple that they too have made mistakes – pointing his finger at Harry over a certain prank call he fell victim to.
It emerged recently that Harry, 35, had been duped by Russian pranksters impersonating eco-activist Greta Thunburg and her dad, and was tricked into spilling all about Megxit.
Thomas said: “We all think we do something right and it turns out to be wrong.
“Harry recently made a huge mistake talking to those Russian pranksters.
“He got tricked by those pranksters and I got tricked by doing those photos.
“We all make mistakes and I made a huge mistake.
“I should forgive them and they should forgive me.
“Ultimately, maybe it’s time for Archie to say hello to grandpa.”
Thomas also said that he still hopes Meghan and Harry will change their minds about giving up the Royal Family, with the couple set to officially step down next Tuesday.
He even said they should have returned to the UK to help the Queen during the coronavirus crisis rather than move to California.
He said: “I think Meghan and Harry should go back to the Royal family in the UK and be supportive of the Queen.
“I think they should be in England at this time and not in LA.”
He added: “I really support the idea of them going back to the royal family.
“They can join the A-list and make lots of money, of course, when the problem with the virus is over.
“But they will never find the respect they would have as full members of the royal family.”