Duchess of Sussex Meghan Markle has won a High Court bid to get her ongoing privacy trial against the Mail on Sunday to be delayed until late next year.

It was announced late on Thursday morning that the High Court had granted the Duchess a requested delay, after lawyers made their case in a private hearing not open to the public.

The trial, which focuses on the publication of letters Meghan sent to her father Thomas Markle before she married Prince Harry, had been due to go ahead on January 11, though that date has now been vacated and a new date will be set for Autumn 2021.

Thomas Markle, Meghan Markle's father, was involved in a flurry of publicity ahead of the royal wedding

The headline on the article read: "Revealed: The letter showing true tragedy of Meghan's rift with a father she says has 'broken her heart into a million pieces'."

The 39-year-old Duchess is seeking damages from ANL, the newspaper's publisher and operator of the website, for alleged misuse of private information, copyright infringement and breach of the Data Protection Act.

ANL wholly denies the allegations, particularly the Duchess's claim that the letter was edited in any way that changed its meaning, and says it will hotly contest the case.

The pair's relationship has been subject to much tabloid speculation

Following the latest preliminary hearing last month, a judge ruled the publisher could rely on a recent biography of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, called Finding Freedom, in its defence of the claim.

Meghan is suing Associated Newspapers over five articles.