Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have withdrawn their application to name their new organisation under the Sussex Royal brand.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex withdrew the trademark application after the Queen ruled they can’t use the label for their charity and commercial activities.
A spokesperson for the couple said: “While The Duke and Duchess are focused on plans to establish a new non-profit organisation, given the specific UK government rules surrounding use of the word ‘Royal’, it has been therefore agreed that their non-profit organisation, when it is announced this Spring, will not be named Sussex Royal Foundation.
“The Duke and Duchess of Sussex do not intend to use ‘SussexRoyal’ in any territory post Spring 2020.
“Therefore the trademark applications that were filed as protective measures, acting on advice from and following the same model for The Royal Foundation, have been removed."
It comes despite Meghan Markle reportedly telling pals there is “nothing legally stopping” her and Prince Harry from using the Sussex Royal name.
The couple dramatically announced they would be stepping back from royal duties last month, with the changes set to come into effect on March 31.
New Megxit details were thrashed out this week, with Harry and Meghan set to lose their Buckingham Palace office as they settle down in Canada.
A friend of Meghan’s reportedly told the Daily Mail: “Meghan said the global projects they are working on speak for themselves and they chose that name to protect the royal name, not profit off of it.”
As of April 1, Harry and Meghan will be represented by their UK foundation team.
There will be a review after 12 months to determine if the new setup is working.
The couple will continue working with their existing patronages and are working to build a new non-profit organisation.
They will also retain their HRH titles, but will not actively use them.