More than 1,350 McDonald's restaurants closed their doors a fortnight ago, just hours before the Prime Minister ordered all bars, restaurants and cafés to close until further notice in a lockdown warning.

The fast-food chain shut all of its branches in the UK and Ireland, as part of efforts to help curb the spread of the contagious coronavirus.

Takeaways, McDelivery orders and its drive through service remained open, however in order to protect staff, the decision was eventually made to close fully.

All 135,000 employees were sent home - and now the workers are calling for full pay for those who have been left out of work.

"This is not a decision we are taking lightly, but one made with the well-being and safety of our employees in mind as well as in the best interests of our customers," a statement at the time explained.

"We will work with local community groups to responsibly distribute food and drink from our restaurants in the coming days."

But could the restaurant chain be about to reopen?

McDonald's closed all of its branches a fortnight ago

McDonald's have now addressed online rumours that the fast-food chain will be back in business 'within days'.

This week, various rumours have popped up on Facebook and Twitter to suggest the chain would be reopening soon.

However, in a statement on their Facebook and Twitter pages on Wednesday night a spokesman from McDonald's UK said: "Lots of people getting in touch about a certain post circulating tonight.

"It’s fake, we are not reopening next week and any official announcements would come from this page and would spell the brand name correctly…"

Like other food and retail chains - McDonald's remains closed 'indefinitely' following Government advice to stay at home, protect the NHS, and save lives.

Earlier this week, new advertisements were published by the Government to remind people they must stay indoors, and only leave to buy food and medicine, or go to work 'if they have to'.

Boris Johnson will also write to 30million households urging them to take the warning seriously, after one woman was handed a £660 fine for being in public without reason.