Manchester United captain Harry Maguire is walking a disciplinary tightrope ahead of this weekend's clash against Burnley.

The Manchester United captain was booked in United's 3-1 turnaround win against Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday after bringing down Harry Kane in the 71st minute.

That caution was Maguire's ninth of the Premier League campaign, more than any other player in the competition.

It leaves Ole Gunnar Solskjaer with a huge dilemma, as another booking for Maguire against Burnley on Sunday would take Maguire to 10 and result in an automatic two-match ban.

That suspension would see the 28-year-old miss the next two Premier League matches, against Leeds United at Elland Road on April 25 and Liverpool at Old Trafford on May 1.

What makes the dilemma even larger for Solskjaer is that the cut-off for 10 yellow cards is after the next Premier League matchday, so if Maguire was 'rested' against Burnley, he would then have to reach 15 yellow cards before serving a ban.

Maguire was central to the remonstrations with referee Chris Kavanagh after he ruled out Edinson Cavani's opener after consultation with VAR.

The man in the middle deemed that Scott McTominay had fouled Son Heung-min in the build-up, much to the frustration of Maguire, his teammates and the wider football community.

Speaking after the match, the United skipper explained how his side used that anger to fuel their comeback which saw them leave North London with all three points.

"I think anybody who has watched football for a long time will get to the same decision as what everyone else thinks, unless you're a Tottenham fan," he told MUTV.

"That can't be football, it can't be. We play a contact sport, you're touching your opponent. It's not his elbow, it's not his arm. It's probably his finger.

"I actually haven't seen it back but I saw it on the monitor and thought there was no chance that it was going to be overturned. It's so disappointing, I don't know what the referees will come out and say but I hope for the love of the game that they come out and say they got that one wrong."

He added: "I think after it happened, there was two or three minutes where we lost our shape and our heads, we made a few too many fouls, couple of bookings, but then after that, it kicked us into gear.

"It put a little bit more life into us and made us play a bit more aggressive, a bit more on the front foot with more tackles.

"We really pinned them in. We came out in the second half knowing that we could get something if we just played like we did for the last 10 minutes of the first half and I think it showed."