Manchester United are standing firm amid criticism of their transfer activity as Gareth Bale prepares to sign for Tottenham.

United have been slammed on social media with both Bale and Sergio Reguilon set to sign for Premier League rivals Tottenham.

Both players were on the Red Devils' radar this summer as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer bids to build on last season's third-placed finish and bridge the gap to rivals Liverpool and Manchester City.

And it's not just Tottenham who are trouncing United in the transfee market, with Rio Ferdinand this week saying his old club are falling way behind rivals Chelsea.

United have also so far failed to sign top target Jadon Sancho with Borussia Dortmund refusing to budge from their £108million valuation of the England winger.

Gareth Bale was on United's radar but is set to join Tottenham

And another player who was in United's sights, Jude Bellingham, snubbed interest from Old Trafford to join Sancho at Dortmund.

Solskjaer's side kick off their Premier League campaign at home to Crystal Palace on Saturday.

And the manager acknowledges ahead of the game that United need to strengthen, having signed only £40m midfielder Donny van de Beek from Ajax so far.

United's stance with regard to Bale and Reguilon is that they didn't 'miss out' on the players, as some fans are claiming.

Europa League winner Sergio Reguilon is also on his way to Spurs, despite United needing left-back reinforcements

According to ESPN, Old Trafford chiefs are aware of 'intense criticism' on social media over the Real Madrid pair's imminent Spurs switches.

Sources told the publication that United's interest in the players never went beyond preliminary talks, with Bale only ever viewed as an alternative to Sancho, who the club are still trying to sign.

The club believe their interest in Bale was exaggerated by the Wales star's representatives in a desperate bid to end his Bernabeu nightmare.

And the Red Devils' interest in Reguilon was ended because Real Madrid insisted on a buyback clause being inserted into the deal.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was asked about United's pursuit of Jadon Sancho

Manchester United are looking to plot their path back to the top. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has already brought in Donny van de Beek but Jadon Sancho remains Manchester United's number one target.

And you can keep track of their journey by signing up for the brilliant new Mirror Football newsletter!

From the latest transfer news to the agenda-setting stories, get it all in your email inbox.

Signing up is simple. Put your email at the top of this article or follow the instructions on this link.

With Bale and Reguilon on their way to Spurs, Solskjaer was asked about Sancho in Friday's press conference to preview the Palace game.

He said: "I can’t say anything about other clubs’ players, can’t speculate.

"We understand to get further we need to develop what we have and strengthen the team but let’s wait and see if we manage to bring anyone in.

"I’ve been in dialogue with the club, we’re always discussing and let’s see if we can bring anyone in.”

Giving his view on the matter earlier this week, United legend Ferdinand said: “Sancho was talked about months ago. Still not done, it’s so frustrating.

“I’m not saying deals are easy to be done but Chelsea are showing deals can be done if you put the money down and it’s all done in the right way.”