A man attacked two workmen who were carrying out work in his kitchen following a bust up over payment - one man lost three teeth.

Shohib Shah, 39, had organised for a new kitchen to be put into his house in Rochdale, and the men had already completed one day of work.

However, the following day on May 27, it was agreed that the job would be cancelled following issues about the work carried out and how much was to be paid, Manchester Crown Court heard.

Read more:

The workmen, a father and son, attended to collect their tools, alongside their 14-year-old boy, as they were planning a family visit afterwards.

“The defendant had prepaid the cost of the kitchen to the amount of £7,000, but following the breakdown in the contract, the defendant was anxious about the money being repaid,” prosecutor Louise Cowen said.

“He wanted to discuss this with the victims when they attended but the victims refused to engage and insisted on getting their tools.

“When the defendant asked about the payment he was pushed.”

Tensions rose between Shah and the workmen, to the point that Shah grabbed a shower valve and struck both men with it.

One of the men was left with a deep wound to the back of his head and an injury to his shoulder.

His father suffered a deep laceration to his lip and permanently lost three teeth.

Both were taken to hospital for urgent treatment and had their wounds glued and sutured.

In a statement, the younger man said he had to take time off work which affected him financially and said he is still suffering with ongoing pain.

His dad said his mental health had deteriorated as a result and was shocked that this took place in front of his grandson.

Manchester's courts are some of the busiest in the country with a vast array of cases heard every week.

To keep up to date with how justice is being served across Greater Manchester subscribe to our free weekly M.E.N. Court News newsletter put together by our court reporters Andrew Bardsley and Amy Walker.

How do I sign up?

  1. First just click on this link to our newsletter sign-up centre.
  2. Once you're there, put your email address where it says at the top, then tick the MEN Court News box. There are other newsletters available if you want them as well.
  3. When you've made your choice, hit Save Changes button at the bottom.

Shah was said to have no previous convictions.

Mitigating, Henry Blackshaw said: “This was an isolated incident, borne out of a particular set of circumstances.

“This was a flash in the pan act of violence.

“He was concerned about the receiving of the significant amount of money.

“There was physical contact from the two men to the defendant before, which caused him to lash out with the shower belt.

“It’s a shame things came to that point.”

He added that his client was usually a ‘placid and decent’ man who worked hard for his family.

Sentencing, Recorder Sarah Johnston said: “It’s accepted that the complainants were themselves very angry and aggressive from the outset, no doubt from the loss of the contract.

“I am quite satisfied this explosion of violence was out of character.

“Your behaviour on that day was wholly unacceptable.”

Shah, of Rhodes Street, was handed a 12 month custodial sentence which was suspended for 18 months, ten days of rehabilitation activity requirements and 60 hours unpaid work.

He was also ordered to pay £600 compensation in total to the two men, and made subject of a restraining order banning him from contacting them for a year.

See the latest court and crime news in your area by receiving email updates