Tributes were today paid to a young man killed in his own home by intruders who burst in and attacked him before fleeing as he lay dying.

Shocked friends have been remembering the 36-year-old, named locally as Thomas Edmunds, following the brutal assault inside his Clorain Road house in Kirkby on Sunday night.

He was described by locals as a neighbour who kept himself to himself and had moved to Knowsley from north Liverpool about 18 months ago.

This morning, forensic investigators in white suits were examining the scene inside the newly-built red-bricked terrace home where a section of Clorain Road was cordoned off.

Friends and neighbours referred to the 36-year-old as "Tommy."

One woman told the ECHO: "Tommy wasn't a loud bloke, he kept himself to himself and just got on with things.

The scene on Clorain Road in Kirkby
The scene on Clorain Road in Kirkby

"I would often say hello to him as he went past.

"I can't believe this has happened, killed in your own home.

"It was a Sunday night, after 10pm, he should have been safe."

The Liverpool Echo sends newsletters on a wide range of topics - including our daily news bulletin, now going out three times a day.

There are others on what's on, politics, court news, Knowsley, Wirral, and arts & culture, as well as both Liverpool FC and Everton FC.

Signing up is free and it only takes a minute for you to get the biggest stories, sent straight to your inbox.

How to sign up for an Echo Email Update

1) Go to our dedicated newsletter page at this link.

2) Put your email in the box where indicated

3) Tick as many boxes as you like, for each newsletter you want.

4) Press Save changes and that's it!

Another said: "Tommy hasn't lived here too long, but he was never any bother.

"He's lived at the house with his family, we're devastated for them."

Police rushed to the scene on Sunday night following reports intruders have gone inside the address.

They left a short time later, leaving Mr Edmunds seriously injured inside with a head injury.

He was taken to hospital where he died, on Monday morning.

Two people, aged 32 and 34, have been arrested on suspicion of murder.

They are being quizzed and remain in custody.

Detectives are keen to speak to anyone who may have seen anything of importance or who could have valuable information.

Detective Inspector Jackie Guinness, of Merseyside Police, said: “A man has tragically died following a suspected assault in Kirkby last night and we are working to establish the full circumstances.

“Two men remain in custody in connection with the incident, and I would ask anyone who saw or heard any suspicious behaviour in Clorain Road or the surrounding area last night, or has any CCTV or dash cam footage, to please get in touch. Officers will remain in the area today to carry out CCTV, witness and forensic enquiries.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact @MerPolCC or 101 quoting ref. 21000297827. Alternatively, you can contact Crimestoppers, anonymously on 0800 555 111.