A man who needs a ventilator to help him breathe was forced to sleep outside his housing association home because a smoke alarm could not be silenced for 21 hours.
Paul McGeoghie was disturbed by the alarm which began ringing at about 3pm on Thursday in his Caledonia Housing Association bungalow in Bridge of Earn, Perthshire.
He told the association and an electrician from Dundee contractor WRB Gas came at 5pm and stopped the noise – but it started up again minutes after he left.
Paul, 54, whose health “is not great” having had a brain tumour, said he was being “driven mad” by the noise – and as power had been turned off at one side of the house, he needed neighbours to rig up an extension to get his ventilator to work in his bedroom.
But with the alarm still going off at 1am, he decided to bed down outside in a sleeping bag on a camping chair.
Contractors disconnected the faulty smoke alarm at noon the next day.
Paul said he was “astonished” to hear from the employee who turned off the alarm – 21 hours after it began ringing – that the company “did not do call-outs after 9pm”.
He said: “So the emergency job which Caledonia Housing had told me would happen ‘soon’ and that kept me waiting up past 1am for an engineer, was never going to happen.
“If I’d been told no one would be coming, I could have made an arrangement with a family member to stay with them.
“Luckily, I had a sleeping bag lent by a friend and a pair of headphones.
"I decided the only thing I could do was to take myself outside and try to sleep there.”
Andrew Kilpatrick, director of assets at Caledonia Housing Association, said: “We are extremely apologetic to Mr McGeoghie that he had this experience.
"The contractor’s failure to complete the out-of-hours call is being investigated.”
WRB Gas said it could not comment.