A young man died in his car after he accidentally inhaled poisonous car fumes following a fault with his exhaust, an inquest has heard.

Dillon Denton was found lying in the reclined driver's seat of his Volkswagen Golf in the car park of Sainsbury's and Homebase in Hessle, Hull, on March 5 last year.

The inquest into the 22-year-old's death at Hull Coroner's Court heard that Dillon had a strong interest in cars and took good care of his Golf.

He was found with an exhaust repair kit in the back seat and a fatal level of carbon monoxide in his bloodstream.

Dillon's sister Roxann, 27, told the inquest he was "like a son as well as a brother" as she took him in when she was just 18.

Dillon Denton was found dead in the car park of Sainsbury's and Homebase in Hessle, Hull

The coroner's court heard that the pair, who had three other siblings, were cared for by their grandmother and great-grandmother while growing up.

But despite their unusual upbringing, his sister told the coroner's court that they had still had a good life and felt loved.

She said Dillon had been "well-behaved and respectful" as a child, but had struggled with the death of his great-nana and then his nana in 2005 and 2006 respectively, before the deaths of his mum and dad within a month of each other in 2015.

Dillon worked in different agency jobs after leaving school and even completed a course with a view to joining the fire service. His sister told the court she remembered him being embarrassed by her cheering at the parade at the end of it.

Dillon worked in different agency jobs

The court heard how Dillon had loved looking after cars and particularly loved his VW Golf.

Paying tribute to her brother last year, Roxann had told Hull Live : "He loved his cars and was forever modifying them, with purple wheels or gold coloured engines.

"He loved his cars, he was a real petrolhead."

At the inquest, the court heard how she had received a call in March last year from one of Dillon's friends, who was screaming down the phone that he was sorry and saying that Dillon had been found unresponsive in the car, which was steamed up from the inside.

Top news stories from Mirror Online

Emergency responders found Dillon in the car with one of the windows smashed by family and friends who had tried to get to him to try and help. He was declared dead at the scene.

Paying tribute to her brother last year, Roxann said: "Dillon was a lovely, handsome, gentle giant with a smile that could light up even the darkest room.

"I’m still absolutely devastated. He didn’t have a bad bone in his body and would do anything for anyone. He really would."

The coroner returned a narrative verdict that Dillon died "by unforeseen carbon monoxide inhalation on March 5, 2019, while sleeping in his vehicle which was parked in the car park at Homebase in Sainsbury Way, Hessle".

She said Dillon "evidently had lots of friends that cared about him".

But she reserved special condolences for his sister.

She said: "Very poignantly I note his sister was incredibly close to him. She cared very deeply and showed amazing strength of character to take him into her own care and make sure he was looked after.

"She said he was like a son to her as well as a brother and I offer my very sincere condolences to her for such a tragic death at such an early age."