Great Britain

Maldives stabbing: Australian and two Chinese injured in attack claimed by Isis sympathisers

Three people including an Australian man have been stabbed in the Maldives in an attack claimed by Islamic State sympathisers.

Police in the South Asian archipelago said the Australian, 44, and two Chinese nationals were stabbed by “suspected extremists” between 7pm and 8pm on Tuesday on Hulhimalé, an island near the capital Male.

Three people had been arrested in relation to the attack on Thursday, police said.

“The Maldives Police Service is working closely with all relevant stakeholders in this matter, and assures the public of our continued efforts to ensure the safety and security of those in Maldives,” said in a statement.

A radical group claiming to be affiliated with Isis took responsibility for the attack in a video posted online. It features three masked men accusing the Maldivian government being run by infidels, claiming the attacks are meant to hurt the country’s vital tourism industry and warning more attacks were coming. Police said they were working to confirm the veracity of the footage.

One video being shared online shows a man in a blue shirt on a bike riding to hospital with a bloody back.

The ABC reported that man in the video is Australian and his injuries are “not serious.”

More people left the Maldives, a nation of about 340,000 Sunni Muslims, to join Isis and other extremist groups than almost any other country per-capita. The official figure of those who left is 173 “but the real number could be anywhere between 200 and 300”, said Azim Zahir, an expert in south Asian extremist movements at the University of Western Australia.

Around 59 Maldives nations are currently detained in north-eastern Syria on suspicions of links to Isis, he said, including at least 28 women and children, who the authorities were working to return.

At least one man who travelled to Syria was known to have returned to the Maldives and was at large, Zahir said. “Many others were stopped before they reached Syria and send back [and] they are free too.”

Best known overseas as a honeymoon destination, the country has been struggling to contain extremist elements and launched a crackdown in October, arresting a man alleged to be a key Isis recruiter, Muhammad Ameen.

Several others linked to Ameen, 35, have been detained in past months and their children have been taken into state custody – including the child bride of one of the men. The wave of arrests has led to threats of retaliation.

“Tuesday’s attack was very scary because it’s a soft yet strategic target – ordinary foreigners or tourists – and required no sophisticated planning or weaponry,” Zahir said.

The same network of extremists were implicated in an attack on tourists in 2007.

The Guardian has sought comment from the Australian department of foreign affairs and trade.

Football news:

Maccabi entered the Champions League without 11 players due to covid. UEFA allows you to play if there are 13 players from the application
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer: De Gea saved us for years, Henderson did the same today. Lingard played well
The semed said goodbye to Barcelona: Thank you for the opportunity to realize the dream. Eternally grateful
Juve have leased Morata from Atletico for 10 million euros with the right to buy out for 45 million
Barcelona and Atletico have agreed a move for Suarez (Fabrizio Romano)
At the 1950 world Cup, Amateurs from the United States beat England. The coach of the Americans compared their players to sheep, and the author of the winning goal went missing
Dan Henderson made his debut for Manchester United at the age of 23. He made 141 appearances on loan