Great Britain

Liverpool news and transfers LIVE - Kalidou Koulibaly 'offer'

Hello and welcome to the Liverpool ECHO's Tuesday live blog for all your very latest Liverpool news, rumours and transfer gossip.

The ECHO will provide breaking stories, reaction and comment to all the big talking points from Anfield as well as keeping tabs on transfer market gossip from around the world.

We will not only bring you every rumour from the transfer gossip front but also the latest on Project Restart.

Get involved and send your thoughts to us at @LivEchoLFC.

And don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel and listen to our Blood Red Podcast , with all your favourite ECHO regulars including Paul Gorst, Ian Doyle, Caoimhe O'Neill, Joe Rimmer, Sean Bradbury, Connor Dunn, Dan Kay and Theo Squires.

Sign up to our FREE LFC newsletter

Enjoying our Liverpool content? You can have our daily newsletter sent completely free to your inbox each day.

SIGN UP HERE.

You can sign up to receive the Liverpool FC newsletter

Manchester United pressure could help Liverpool secure Koulibaly transfer

Napoli's Kalidou Koulibaly (Image: ALBERTO PIZZOLI/AFP via Getty Images)

Paris St Germain have pulled out of the race for Kalidou Koulibaly because of pressure from Manchester United but that could enable Liverpool to secure his signature claims a report.

The sought-after defender, who turns 29 on June 20, is widely expected to leave Napoli after six seasons with the Serie A outfit.

Club president Aurelio De Laurentiis had previously valued the Senegal international at more than £100million but the financial impact of COVID-19 could see a bid in the region of £75million accepted.

The Express cite L'Equipe as saying that PSG have abandoned their attempts to land the Napoli centre-back partly due to strong pressing from Manchester United.

However, they add that:

PSG's decision to withdraw their interest because of Manchester United pressure could benefit Liverpool.

Reds boss Jurgen Klopp is claimed to have personally phoned Koulibaly to convince him to join the European champions and less competition for his signature could swing the deal in Liverpool's favour.

Four matches set for neutral venues

General view inside Liverpool's stadium Anfield

The Premier League have told their clubs they are hoping that no more than four matches will be held at neutral venues — and have acknowledged Liverpool may well win the title at Anfield, reports the Daily Mail.

Their article says:

Two of the six games Deputy Chief Constable Roberts listed on Friday were Everton v Liverpool and the leaders' title-clincher. However, Premier League executive director Bush noted that Merseyside Police subsequently responded by saying that, in their view, they could deal with the matches on their beat.

Bush added that the two other police forces involved — Greater Manchester and Northumbria — are continuing to review the situation and disclosed that there was 'every possibility' that less than a handful of games will be diverted.

While no final decisions have been made — and other matches could yet fall into the mix after being mentioned last week — the final figure may well be less than the four Bush mentions.

Greater Manchester Police are understood to be expecting two of the three matches — Manchester City v Newcastle and Manchester United v Sheffield United — to go ahead at the Etihad and Old Trafford.

That would leave City v Liverpool, although much would ride on whether that match turns out to be a potential title-clincher, and Newcastle v Liverpool, over which Northumbria Police are understood to retain concerns.

Reds plot Koulibaly offer - reports

Reports linking Liverpool with a move for Kalidou Koulibaly do not appear to be going away.

The Reds have been tentatively linked with a move for the Napoli centre-back, although an unrealistic transfer fee would likely be needed to prize the defender away from the Stadio San Paulo.

Fresh claims in Napoli Magazine, via Sport Witness, says that Liverpool would “like to offer €60m plus a player” to Napoli in a bid to bring the Senegalese international to Anfield.

Koulibaly has regularly been linked with a move away from Napoli, with the 28-year-old keen to play Champions League football next term.

Napoli are currently sixth in Serie A, and their chances of qualifying for Europe’s elite cup competition are slim.

Napoli's Kalidou Koulibaly
(Image: ALBERTO PIZZOLI/AFP via Getty Images)

Morning!

Good morning and welcome to Tuesday’s LIVE Liverpool FC blog.

Let’s get to it, shall we!

Football news:

Bayern, Atletico and Everton are Interested in Zaa
Joan Laporta: Messi is the best in history. We must create appropriate conditions for it
Mourinho on Bergwein in reserve: Klopp, Pep and Lampard you ask such questions
Solskjaer on Pogba: he's been great since the restart. When Paul plays like this, you can't help but include him in the lineup
Alisson: the points Record was not Liverpool's goal. We are still Champions
Inter want to extend Sanchez's lease and are willing to pay extra for him to Manchester United if the clubs play in the Europa League final
Don't talk behind our backs, go out on the field and fight with us. Pep's possible appeal to Jose, Klopp and the world