Great Britain

Libby Squire ‘killer tells court he drove around “looking for a woman to have easy sex” to fulfil fetish’

LIBBY Squire's alleged murderer today told jurors he drove around on the night she vanished looking for a woman to have "easy" sex with to "fulfil a fetish".

Pawel Relowicz, 26, was today described as a "disgusting" Peeping Tom who "violated intimate moments" by his own lawyer in court.

The Polish butcher told Sheffield Crown Court he was captured driving around Hull on the night Libby, 21, died as he "was looking for a woman to have easy sex".

He said violent sexual intercourse, rape, rough sexual intercourse and the idea of causing pain in sex did not excite him sexually.

But Relowicz, who denies raping and murdering Libby, admitted there was "something sexy" about watching others have sex and claimed this was his "fetish".

He also told jurors he was "sexually excited" by keeping other people's sex toys and said he enjoyed performing sex acts on himself in front of other people.

The married dad-of-two added: "I simply had this fetish and it was my problem."


Relowicz had exposed himself to women and performed sex acts on himself in the street in the year before Libby's death, the court previously heard.

He also allegedly watched them through their windows as they changed or had sex and swiped underwear and sex toys from women's homes.

The jury have been told Relowicz had pleaded guilty to nine sexually motivated offences, committed in the months before Libby Squire's death including voyeurism, outraging public decency and burglary.

Oliver Saxby QC, defending, said the jury will "hate" the butcher for the "extremely frightening" offences.

But the lawyer insisted he didn't kill Libby as "violence" is not what "gets him off".

Mr Saxby instead told jurors Libby may have got "lost" and "disorientated" before "falling into a river".

He described the student as "extremely vulnerable to her own misadventure" on the night she vanished.


The lawyer added: "Her judgment is likely to have been impaired. Ditto, her thought-process and her decision-making. Her awareness of danger is likely to have been reduced.

"She is likely to have had a lack of interest or concern in her environment and she is likely to have been confused. Hence, she may have taken the wrong route.

"She may have got lost. She may have been unaware of obvious danger. She may have been disorientated in the dark.

"She may have found it hard to contextualise distant lighting. She may have become distressed. None of this was rocket science."

He added: "What made Libby Squire vulnerable to attack is also undeniably what might have led to her getting lost, becoming utterly disorientated and falling into the river."


Libby was allegedly driven to a remote playing field by Relowicz where she was raped then dumped "dead or dying" in the River Hull.

She was discovered six weeks later on March 20, 2019, in the Humber estuary by a fishing boat - a gold necklace bearing the letter 'L' still hanging around her neck.

A post mortem could not establish a cause of death but DNA matching Relowicz was found on her, it was said.

Her bruised body also had "neck marks" and small haemorrhages around her mouth, which could be evidence of asphyxia.

The court was previously told Relowicz returned to the playing fields in the early hours of the morning after Libby had vanished.

CCTV footage was said to have captured him standing with his knees bent performing a sex act on himself in the street.

He had also visited a porn site twice in the hours after Libby died and had been "in a state of heightened sexual arousal that night", jurors heard.

Two days later, on February 3, a used condom containing DNA matching Relowicz was discovered in the area.

After he was arrested, police found a pink holdall containing "trophies... taken in a series of sexually motivated burglaries", the court was told.

This included sex toys, photographs of young women and several pairs of women's knickers and thongs, it was said.

When quizzed by police, Relowicz said he "forgot" about them and they did not belong to him or his wife, the court heard.

He also had two "Halloween" masks in the boot of his car - one described as a "Scream" mask and the other which had red hair.

The dad-of-two told police they were in his boot because his wife said they were frightening for babies, it was said.

When quizzed by police after his arrest, Relowicz said he "felt sorry" for the sobbing student and offered her a lift home, it was alleged.

He insisted he hadn't "kidnapped anyone", adding: “I walked past the girl and she says to me ‘Stop please’. She said ‘I need help’. And I was asking ‘What’s up?’.

“She went, ‘I need to go home, I need my mother’ and she was crying, she was all in tears.”

The court heard he told cops Libby was directing him towards the playing fields when he asked her to get out the car in case she vomited.

Relowicz then claimed she fell in the snow crying before he drove away and left the student walking on the pavement.

He added: "I know nothing more about it. I’ve never seen her since.”

The dad-of-two was also told by police witnesses heard "three periods of screaming" coming from the playing fields.

Relowicz replied: “I want her to be found. I’ve never been so honest in my life like I have been like this.

“I have said everything.”

Libby's last movements

January 31, 2019

Libby leaves her student home at Wellesley Avenue with friends at about 8.30pm and they walked to another student house on Cromer Street together

The group leave at about 11pm to walk to The Welly nightclub, at the junction of Wellington Lane and Beverley Road, where they arrive at 11.20pm

Libby is refused entry to the The Welly and is put in a taxi by her friends just before 11.30pm

The taxi drops her in Wellesley Avenue but she does not go home. She instead walks towards Beverley Road where she falls over in the street

Libby enters another house on Wellesley Avenue after the occupants heard her crying. She says she wants to go home but sets off towards Beverley Road, dropping her keys outside the house she left

She is then approached by a woman who tried to help her outside the former convent at the Endsleigh Centre, on Beverley Road

Two men try to help Libby as she lays in the snow near the junction of Haworth Road and Beverley Road. They were there from 11.40pm to 11.49pm

Another woman steps in to help as she sits on the floor near a bus stop close to the same junction. A supermarket manager spots her in the same location

Relowicz's Vauxhall Astra arrives at the end of Haworth Street at 11.57pm. The defendant gets out of the car, crosses the road to Beresford Avenue and tracks Libby as she walks back up Beverley Road

February 1, 2019

They interact outside the Endsleigh Centre and entered the grounds before walking back to the car at the end of Haworth Street

Relowicz drives off from Haworth Street at 12.08am with Libby in the car

They arrive at Oak Road playing fields at 12.11am

A man living in the house at the entrance to the playing fields wakes at 12.14am and "after a period that he thought was a couple of minutes" hears a woman screaming in the park. The man then sees a young man running from the park "perhaps a few minutes after the last scream"

At 12.19am, CCTV captures Relowicz's indicators flashing as he unlocks his car

Relowicz arrives home in Raglan Street at 12.23am

He leaves home again at 2.22am and drives back to Oak Road playing fields, arriving at 2.25am. He stays for a little over four minutes

Relowicz then drives around, arriving in Alexandra Road at 2.51am, walking over Newlands Avenue and performing a sex act in the street.

He arrives back at Raglan Street but walks back to Newland Avenue where he is captured "walking up and down the road in that area for no apparent reason and exhibiting some strange behaviour"

The prosecution say Relowicz raped and murdered Miss Squire at Oak Road playing fields after arriving at 12.11am. They say he put her dead or dying into the River Hull, which runs along the north east of the park. They say this could have been at the 12.11am visit or the later one at 2.25am.

March 20, 2019

Libby's body is found in the Humber Estuary, off Spurn Point, by a fishing boat

Jurors heard previously how on the night she vanished, Libby had been drinking with friends and appeared "in good spirits" before the group headed to the nightclub in the city centre at around 11pm.

CCTV shown to the court showed Libby stumbling with her pals as they walked through the snow to the club.

But once there, security staff on the door refused to let her in because she appeared to be drunk so she told her friends she would walk home instead.

Her friends put her in a taxi, which dropped Libby off close to her home but she "walked away from the safety of her front door".

Toxicology tests later revealed she was two-and-a-half times the drink-drive limit when she died.

She was later seen by passers-by "obviously drunk" and "sobbing" - including two men who spotted the student lying in the snow at the side of the road.

Jurors heard the bystanders tried to help her but were unable to understand what she was saying and she became verbally aggressive so they drove away.

A group of students who heard Libby crying outside their house let her in but she left, saying she wanted to go home, it was said.

The last person to see Libby alive told jurors she was screaming "don't leave me" either to a "movement in the shadows" or a car close to where she was sitting on the ground.

CCTV shown to the court previously shows Relowicz lurking in the shadows as "extremely vulnerable" Libby, 21, stumbles down the road.

After identifying her as a "target", the Polish butcher "darts" across the road to "intercept her", jurors were told.

The CCTV shows some "toing and froing" between him and Libby before she enters his silver Vauxhall Astra, Sheffield Crown Court heard.

The vehicle then drives away at 12.07am on February 1, 2019 - her damaged gold watch later found at the scene.

She was driven to the isolated playing fields where witness Sam Alford then reported hearing a "series of frantic screams", it was said.


Relowicz allegedly left the playing field around seven-and-a-half minutes later without Libby.

Mr Wright said this was "more than enough time" for him to have "taken or pursued Libby out into the playing fields, sexually attacked and killed her, put her body into the river, and then run back to his car."

He told jurors Relowicz's "sole purpose" was to "silence her screams" after he raped Libby.

The prosecutor added: "Her screams, and the scratches that she clearly managed to land on the face of the defendant as she fought him off, are just part of the evidence that establishes that she was raped by a man whose entire motivation for coming into contact with her that night was to take her away from safety to a remote area well known to him and there to subject her to his uncontrollable sexual urges.

"His very purpose in prowling the streets was in order to commit opportunistic sexual offences and the rape of Libby was just such an offence."

Relowicz, who is using a Polish interpreter to watch proceedings, denies rape and murder.

The trial continues.

Moment Pawel Relowicz is seen crossing the road to speak with Libby Squire before her death

Football news:

Cavani has returned to training and is likely to play against Crystal Palace
Fabio Capello, Juventus played Rugby against the Port. Only Ronaldo and Chiesa can make a difference in this squad
Neymar: I posted how I was recovering from my injury, and I didn't get any messages saying, Wow, what a professional. No
Ole Gunnar Solscher: The work of the judges is very difficult and without additional pressure. We have to make their decisions
Joan Laporta: I'm sure Messi won't stay at Barca if I don't win the election. He gives the club 30% of revenue
Trent had idolized Gerrard since he was a kid, and he was in a fairy tale: he got Steven's care and the captain's armband. The story of a great relationship
Hazard's recovery from the injury is delayed. He probably won't play against Atletico on March 7