The two armed police officers involved in the shooting of Lewis Skelton are due to give evidence at his inquest this week.

Lewis was Tasered four times before being shot by police officers in Francis Street, in the city centre, on November 29, 2016 after he was seen carrying an axe in the street.

Lewis, who lived in Durham Street, off Holderness Road, was shot twice and later died in hospital after hours of surgery.

For more court news click here

Earlier this year, a pre-inquest review decided that the identity of the officers who shot Lewis will not be revealed.

The officers, known only as B50 and Charlie, will give their evidence behind a screen, meaning only the coroner, jury, lawyers and family can see them but not members of the public or the press.

Their evidence is likely to be crucial and key to finding out the exact circumstances surrounding Lewis’s tragic death.

The inquest being held in Hull, will move into its fourth week on Monday and is set to last until mid-October.

Lewis Skelton.
Lewis Skelton.

Last week, the jury heard from other police who attended the scene.

One of the first police officers on the scene described the dramatic situation that greeted her and her colleague.

“We arrived at the scene and I messaged to say we were ‘standing by, it’s guns drawn’,” he told the inquest.

“I saw one officer with his gun drawn and the other struggling with Mr Skelton. We then saw the officer lower his weapon and decided it was safe to get out and assist.”

The officer says she was focused on trying to save Lewis who was still struggling with her colleagues.

“When we got out of the car one of the armed officers told us Mr Skelton had been shot,” she said. “I radioed control to tell them shots had been fired.

“Once we realised Mr Skelton had been shot we went over to help him. My priority at this point was to help him.

“I grabbed his leg to try and unbalance him. I wanted to get him in a position to assess and treat his injuries. At one point he shook me off and I stumbled backwards.

“While he was struggling he was not trying to hurt me, he just didn’t want to be restrained.

“He continued to struggle on the ground and I tried to hold down his legs. I don’t think he realised he had been shot.

“One of my colleagues explained to Mr Skelton he had been shot and needed help.

“I saw a gunshot wound in his lower back and put my hand on it to apply pressure. I was then handed a bandage from a medical kit to apply to the wound.

“He continued to struggle and tried taking off the oxygen mask we put on him.”

Watch: the scene at the time of the shooting

In a statement read out, another officer explained what happened when he responded to the call that day.

Another officer responded to a call for a tactical medical officer and was aware shots had been fired.

The officer who is also a trained medic, said: “I attended the scene and it was clear the priority was to try and stem the catastrophic bleeding. There was a large amount flowing from his right side.

“I heard his name was Lewis and he was struggling and making noises.

“But, after a while, the noises stopped but he was still breathing.

Police officer's desperate attempts to save Lewis Skelton's life after he was shot.
Police officer's desperate attempts to save Lewis Skelton's life after he was shot.

“I went in the ambulance and was still applying pressure to his wounds and took off the handcuffs.

“I accompanied Lewis to the theatre for emergency surgery and I was later relieved by another officer.”

The inquest had earlier heard how attempts to save Lewis’s life at Hull Royal Infirmary proved in vain.

Doctors and surgeons battled for almost eight hours to save Lewis who suffered internal bleeding after he was shot in his lower back and right shoulder.

The latest crime statistics for your area

Medical staff at Hull Royal Infirmary were initially confident they could save Lewis but his condition deteriorated rapidly after losing a lot of blood during surgery.

Lewis was operated on for almost six hours but it became clear he would not survive more surgery.

Despite receiving blood transfusions and oxygen, it became clear by around 4pm Lewis was not likely to survive.

Lewis suffered a cardiac arrest and died at 6pm on the day he was shot.

Keep up to date with the latest news from Hull's courts by signing up for updates here.