Kevin De Bruyne insists the Manchester City stars remain focused on winning trophies this season - and are not thinking about their Champions League ban.

City were on Friday given a two-season ban from European football and fined £24.9million for breaching financial regulations.

De Bruyne and Co were enjoying their winter break when the news emerged last week, with the reigning Premier League champions returning to action on Wednesday night with a comfortable win over West Ham.

And following that Premier League triumph, which saw De Bruyne wrap up the 2-0 win with a well-taken goal, the Belgian opened up on the players' attitudes following the shock news.

Kevin De Bruyne of Man City celebrates after scoring his team's second goal

“We were on holiday when the statement happened. We came back and we played football," said De Bruyne.

“The situation is what it is, but we came back, trained like normal and in the end, nothing really changed for us. We just play the games that we have and today we gave a good performance.

“We still have a lot to play for with the two cups and the Champions league, so let’s hope we can find our rhythm as quick as possible and win some titles at the end of the year.”

Moments after De Bruyne fulfilled his media duties, City manager Pep Guardiola ruled out leaving the club in his post-match interview.

City secured a comfortable 2-0 win over West Ham on Wednesday night

Read More

Mirror Football's Top Stories

"Why should I leave? I said a month ago, I love this club, I like to be here. Why should I leave?," Guardiola told Sky Sports.

"We spoke with the players, in the next three months we will focus on what we have to do and after we will see the sentence. Personally, I will be here.

"I want to stay to continue to help the club and maintain this level as long as possible," the Spaniard added.

City are appealing against the ban to the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Switzerland.