A MAN who convinced a vulnerable 14-year-old girl to have sex with him has been jailed for two years.

Burnley Crown Court heard that when 19-year-old Kyle Carter was out on bail for that offence he attempted to rob his local convenience store at knifepoint while high on cocaine.

Prosecuting, Alison Mather said the sexual offence, involving a 14-year-old girl, happened last July when Carter's victim was staying in temporary accommodation.

Ms Mather said: "It seems that contact in the main was by text message. But ultimately in July 2018 they met up. We know from her interview with police the complainant had made arrangements and seemed quite happy to meet up with the defendant.

"They met at Farmfoods. They went for a walk and ultimately they made their way back to a friend's property.

"It doesn't seem that any adults were in the property at the time, save for the defendant. They were left alone in the lounge area. There was consensual intercourse."

The court heard the complainant's mother was made aware of what had happened and asked her daughter what had gone on. The victim confirmed they had had sex.

Ms Mather said when Carter was arrested he admitted having sex with the under-age girl but claimed he thought she was 16.

The court heard Carter, of Mitella Street, Burnley, was released under investigation but in March was told no further action was being taken against him.

However after the complainant's mother appealed that decision Carter was charged with engaging in sexual activity with a child, an offence he pleaded guilty to.

Ms Mather said on August 22, while Carter on bail for the sexual offence, he committed the attempted robbery at Lyndhurst Road Food & Booze in Burnley.

CCTV played in court showed Carter enter the store with his face covered with a scarf and his hood up.

He then began waving a knife at shopkeeper Ehtisman Sajjad and demanding cash.

Ms Sajjad can be seen talking to the defendant, before trying to disarm him. Carter left empty-handed.

In his statement to police Mr Sajjad said he recognised Carter's voice as soon as he spoke because he often came into the shop and stood outside with his friends.

Carter admitted to attempted robbery and possession of a bladed article.

Defending, Simon Gurney said his client was diagnosed with a psychotic disorder in December 2017 because of his ever-increasing use of cannabis.

Mr Gurney said his client had begun to straighten himself out since his remand into custody in August and his mother believes she is "getting back the son she knew before he started taking drugs".

Sentencing Carter to two years in a young offenders' institution, Judge Simon Medland QC said: "The victim had her own vulnerabilities and you took advantage of that. Although the act of sex itself may, in the strictest term, have been consensual everything about it must have indicated this was a girl going along with it from start to finish rather than having any input."

Carter was ordered to sign the sex offenders register for 10 years and was banned from having any contact with the victim or her mother for the same period.