Manchester United remain in talks to sign Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho despite their growing frustrations over the slow pace of negotiations.
United's pursuit of their priority summer transfer target were dealt an apparent blow on Monday when Michael Zorc, Dortmund's sporting director, said Sancho would stay at the club.
“We plan on having Jadon Sancho in our team this season, the decision is final,” said Zorc, who also revealed that the winger's contract lasts until 2023 - a year longer than previously thought.
Download the new Independent Premium app
Sharing the full story, not just the headlines
United are still hopeful of completing a deal for Sancho but are unhappy with the lack of progress in discussions, which Dortmund are conducting through a third party.
Senior Old Trafford sources indicate that the two clubs are yet to reach an agreement on either the transfer fee, Sancho's prospective salary or the fees to be paid to agents.
United are determined not to repeat the mistakes of the recent past. Alexis Sanchez has only just left Old Trafford having spent two-and-a-half years as the club's highest earner while only ever on the fringes of the squad.
Dortmund originally set a deadline of Monday – 10 August – for negotiations to progress, with the Bundesliga club eager to sign a replacement for Sancho during the current window and before their domestic season starts on 18 September.
The Independent understands that Sancho may need to force his way out of Dortmund in order to join up with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s squad.
Sancho may need to submit a transfer request in order to push through a move, though the player’s camp have been reluctant to do so on account of their good relationship with Dortmund.
Sancho travelled with his Dortmund team-mates to a pre-season training camp in the Swiss spa town of Bad Ragaz, having visited London at the weekend.