This is the aftermath of a fire which tore through a flat in Salford Quays.

Video footage shows the apartment at Imperial Point was completely destroyed by the early morning blaze.

Residents were evacuated after the blaze broke out on the second floor at 3.35am this morning.

The resident living inside the flat shut the fire door as they left, meaning the fire was contained inside.

Photos shared by residents group @IPCladding, showed the fire door was completely charred on one side.

No one was injured.

The fire was caused by an electrical fault which started in the bathroom, a fire service spokeswoman said.

One resident, who didn't want to be named, was woken by the sound of the alarm going off.

She said: "We have got fire alarms on the inside of the door. When I heard the fire alarm go off it was just adrenaline, panic.

"When it goes of it's like an air raid siren.

The fire door

"I woke my partner up and we got ready as fast as we could. As we got half way down (the stairs) we smelt smoke."

The fire did not spread to other parts of the building.

Six fire engines raced to the scene and used breathing apparatus and jets to put out the fire.

The fire was out by 4.40am.

A fire service spokeswoman said: "Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service was called to a fire on the second floor of Imperial Point on the Quays Salford at 3.34am this morning.

"The building currently operates an evacuation strategy due to the risk of external fire spread with the property.

"When crews arrived the evacuation of the building was already underway. A review of the evacuation will be undertaken with the Building Managers to identify any areas of learning or improvement.

"The fire has been determined to be an accidental fire and caused by an electrical fault started in the bathroom and was contained within the flat of origin."