Great Britain

India included in new Covid travel ban list from this Friday

INDIA has been added to the coronavirus "red list" in response to mounting concern about the number of cases there and the emergence of a variant.

The move, announced just hours after Boris Johnson was forced to cancel a trip to the country, comes into force at 4am on Friday, meaning Britons returning after that point will be forced to quarantine in a hotel for 10 days.

Anyone who is not a UK or Irish resident or a British citizen will be banned from entering the country if they have been in India in the previous 10 days.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock said so far 103 cases of the Indian variant had been identified in the UK.

Concern about variants of the disease - and whether existing vaccines will prove effective - has led to the Government ramping up plans for a campaign of booster shots later this year.

Mr Hancock told MPs: "We've recently seen a new variant first identified in India. We've now detected 103 cases of this variant, of which again the vast majority have links to international travel and have been picked up by our testing at the border."

Mr Hancock said the samples have been analysed to see if the new variant has any "concerning characteristics" such as greater transmissibility or resistance to treatments and vaccines.

He added: "After studying the data, and on a precautionary basis, we've made the difficult but vital decision to add India to the red list."

The Prime Minister had been due to travel to India on Sunday on a trip which had already been dramatically scaled back due to the pandemic.

Mr Johnson and his Indian counterpart Narendra Modi agreed the cancellation of the trip as New Delhi entered a week-long lockdown to tackle a surge in cases and prevent a collapse of the capital's health system, as India reported 273,810 new infections - the highest daily rise since the pandemic began.

The Prime Minister said: "I do think it's only sensible to postpone, given what's happened in India, the shape of the pandemic there."

Football news:

Ramos is unlikely to play against Sevilla. He has been out of the Real Madrid squad for two days
President of Bavaria: There will be no expensive transfers. There is no need for them, we have an incredibly strong team
Statement from Real Madrid, Barca and Juve: We regret that the founding clubs of the Super League signed a commitment to UEFA yesterday. This is inconsistent
The amount of the Holand deal may reach 200 million euros. Real Madrid won't pay that much
Ronaldo lives for goals. Playing against him is fun. Milan defender Kier on Juve striker
Ter Stegen on the national team: I wish Neuer to play without injuries. I want to get a place in the squad, playing well for Barca
The president of UEFA will propose to exclude Real Madrid, Barca and Juve from European competitions for 2 years (Cope)