Spain has said it will lift a two-week mandatory confinement for all travellers arriving from overseas starting on July 1.
The government said in a brief statement that cabinet ministers made the decision to lift the mandatory quarantine during a meeting on Monday.
Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez had already announced over the weekend that his nation was ready to welcome some foreign visitors in July.
The government is looking to establish safe corridors between parts of Spain that have the outbreak under control and similar areas in Europe that are an important source of tourists.
There has been no talk so far of reopening to travellers from outside the European Union.
Foreign Minister Arancha González tweeted: "The most difficult part is behind us. From July we will gradually reactivate international tourism, we will lift the quarantine and ensure safe health conditions."
Spain is one of the world's most visited countries, attracting more than 80 million international tourists each year.
The industry represents 12% of Spain's GDP and employs 2.6 million people.
Its economic importance is even greater on Spain's Canary and Balearic archipelagos.
Receive newsletters with the latest news, sport and what's on updates from the Liverpool ECHO by signing up here.