A golden retriever yowled in agony after being electrocuted by a faulty manhole cover for 10 minutes. The dog, called Bowdie, wailed so loudly his owner Marc Schwartz could hear his screams from several blocks away, with his window shut.
Marc and his wife Lina this week lost their claim for damages against the City of Chicago over the January 2020 incident. Bowdie began convulsing after being shocked while out for a walk, and bit his own tongue.
Lina, who was with him at the time, had no idea what had happened to the golden retriever, so went to hug him – only for him to lunge at her and bite her. The attack left her with a bleeding hand.
Panicked by Bowdie’s seemingly inexplicable pain, Lina called Marc, who arrived to discover his dog had been paralyzed on the top of the drain cover for 10 minutes. It was only after Bowdie was wrapped in a blanket that Marc was able to lift him off.
An investigation later discovered that the manhole cover was live, and that Bowdie had been electrocuted after getting his paws stuck to the top of it.
Despite the horrific experience, Bowdie survived his injuries – although vets say he will almost certainly suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder as a result.
Two others dogs were shocked on the same cover, which was subsequently taped-off and fixed.
The Schwarz’s sued for $1,500 to cover the cost of Bowdie’s medical bills, and to try and shame the city into taking greater care with electrical work.
Sharing her thoughts after they lost their suit, Schwarz told CBS Chicago: ‘I was like, “Are you kidding me?”
‘It’s a sucker punch. It’s not nice. It’s one of those things where you just hold your breath, wishing that someone will do the right thing.’
The City of Chicago declined to comment on the Schwarz’s failed lawsuit.
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected]
For more stories like this, check our news page