Police have apologised to a victim who says he was 'ignored' following a horrific attack at Manchester Pride.
The man, who has asked for his identity to remain anonymous, was robbed at knife-point and badly beaten by two men following the event on August 24, 2019.
He claims he reported the terrifying incident to police on the night, but despite being hospitalised, he said no officer visited him.
READ MORE:Five women arrested in connection with double murder
The victim, who is from Worsley, said he had to contact his local MP in an attempt to get GMP to speak to him - which he claims they finally did several months later.
The then 22-year-old was asked if he still wanted police to investigate the case, and went into a local station to give a statement for the first time since the attack.
He said officers "promised" they would find the people responsible.
But over two years on from the assault, the man said he had not been contacted by GMP since, leaving him fearful to go out, knowing his attackers could still be at large.
Greater Manchester Police have now apologised, admitting they "failed to sufficiently update the victim of the progress" they had made in the case.
Superintendent Helen Critchley from the City of Manchester District, said she was "sorry" that the man didn't receive the level of service he expected from the force.
She confirmed a man has since been arrested in connection with the incident.
Recalling the night of the attack, the victim told the M.E.N: "I had been out for Pride and near the end of the night I met these two lads and stayed with them for a while.
"They then took me down an alleyway and pointed a knife to my throat and demanded I hand over all my belongings.
"They took my phone, wallet, cigarettes and then beat me up.
"I managed to run away towards Manchester and some people helped me. I rang the police straight away from someone else’s phone.
"I was waiting for about an hour at a bus stop for the police to arrive but they never did."
The man says he managed to make his way into the city centre and recalls waking up in an ambulance and being transferred to Manchester Royal Infirmary.
"My face was just battered and since then I have had about 100 plus panic attacks," he said.
"I never had panic attacks before it happened. I’ve received counselling but nothing seems to help. I really struggle with my mental health now."
The victim says he contacted GMP on several occasions in the days after the attack, but got no response.
"I contacted my MP so that the police would call me back and in March 2020 they called and asked me if they still wanted me to look into it," he said.
"I went into the police station and gave a statement and they promised me they would find the people who did this within six months."
The man says he never heard from the police again, despite sending them numerous emails.
" The fact that these men could still be out there really scares me. I can’t even go into town or on a night out anymore because I am scared I’m going to get robbed," he added.
"I would never report anything to the police ever again.
"There is not a day that goes by that I don’t think about the attack."
In a statement, Superintendent Critchley said: "First, we completely acknowledge the horrendous effect that violent crime can have on victims.
"I'm sorry that this has happened to them while they were simply going about their business in Manchester, and that they didn't receive the level of service they expected from GMP.
"In this instance, we failed to sufficiently update the victim of the progress we've made in this case, and for that I apologise.
"We have continued to investigate, and I have personally been in touch to share that we have made an arrest in connection with it.
"We will ensure regular updates will be provided going forward.
"GMP is determined to do more to stop violent offenders in our city, and to keep people in our community safe from harm."