The victim of a rapist who targeted her as a child spent years thinking he was behind bars but the monster who attacked her was actually walking free.

David Davies was finally jailed last week for attacks on three children in Warrington in the second half of the 1990s.

He was imprisoned for ten years and nine months and will serve a further five years on licence.

READ MORE: Man raped children as young as six and went unpunished for years

However, during his sentencing on Thursday it emerged that one of his victims, whose family reported him to the police shortly after the crime occurred, had gone years thinking he had already been punished.

Matthew Dunford, prosecuting, told the court how an investigation into Davies was launched and the child and her family were interviewed.

The victim said in her statement to the court that, as a child, she presumed that Davies would have been jailed.

Her family left the area of Warrington where they had been living and she said she hardly spoke to them about the abuse after it was reported to the police.

However, Davies was never charged at the time.

It was only 20 years later when another victim reported him about a separate allegation that the woman was approached again by police looking to investigate his abuse of her as well.

It would go on to emerge that Davies subjected three children to horrific sexual abuse in Warrington between 1994 and 1998.

He was only 15 when he began a campaign of abuse against two boys and, later on, the little girl.

The 43-year-old denied the charges but was found guilty by a jury.

In subsequent interviews he continued to show a lack of acceptance that he had committed the horrific acts of sexual abuse.

That was a key factor in Judge Neil Flewitt, QC, judging him to be a dangerous offender and extending his prison term.

Judge Flewitt said: "You do pose a significant risk of serious harm to members of the public

"Whilst you maintain your innocence and deny any wrongdoing you make it particularly difficult for yourself to participate in prevention programmes."

Davies, of South Parade, Pengarn, Abergele, was jailed for ten years and nine months and will serve a further five years on licence.

He will be eligible for release after he has served two thirds of his jail term, subject to the approval of a parole board.

He must also go on the sex offenders register and be subject to a sexual harm prevention order for the rest of his life.

Cheshire Police do not have a photo of Davies on their files.

Anyone with information or wants to report a sexual offence is asked to call 101 where you will be spoken to by specially trained officers or you can pass information to Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.

Support for victims is also available through the registered charity the Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Centre Cheshire and Merseyside, who can be contacted on 01925 221 546 or 0330 363 0063 or Rape and Sexual Assault Merseyside (RASA) on 0151 558 1801. In an emergency, always call 999.

Receive newsletters with the latest news, sport and what's on updates from the Liverpool ECHO by signing up here