A five-year-old girl who was taken to hospital with an ear infection ended up in intensive care on life support.

Kacey Kirkpatrick was given antibiotics for her ear infection - before mum Roseanne was given the shattering news weeks later her condition was far more serious.

Roseanne, 38, described how she took Kacey back to hospital when the antibiotics didn't seem to help her ear infection.

The mum, from Wigan, said: "The doctors asked me to bring her in but by this time Kacey's legs were sore and she had a high temperature - I had to push her there in a pram."

When Kacey's health deteriorated even more in April last year, Roseanne took her to Wigan Hospital - before she was rushed to Alder Hey children's hospital in Liverpool and placed in an induced coma, reports the Liverpool Echo.

Kacey on life support in intensive care after being transferred to Alder Hey children's hospital

Eventually, Kacey was diagnosed with Lemierre’s disease - a severe illness caused by a bacteria which typically occurs in healthy teenagers and young adults.

She was placed on life support in intensive care having suffered from septic shock.

Lemierre’s disease originates in the throat and spreads through the neck and into the body.

Roseanne described how she was given the devastating news that Kacey was not likely to survive the next 24 hours.

She said: "I was ringing Alder Hey up to make sure she was okay and see if the results had come back and if I come could down.

Roseanne and Kacey in hospital after her condition seriously deteriorated

"They said to be honest with you we don't think she's going to make it but the next 24-hours would be crucial.

"I didn't know if she was going to live or die.

"I just wanted to be by her side. I started blaming myself thinking I should have done more but I did everything I could.

"If only I'd took her in a week earlier was going through my head."

Kacey survived the night and her test came back saying she did not have coronavirus, meaning her parents could finally take it in turns to stay with her.

Kacey suffered damage to her lungs, heart, stomach and bones

In Kacey's case, the infection caused damage to her lungs, heart, stomach and bones. It had even caused her to develop blood clots on her brain.

She underwent several operations to drain the infection out of her legs and body.

However, doctors said the infection had destroyed part of her hip and that she would likely never sit up or walk again.

When she came out of the coma, Roseanne spoke of the relief her and Kacey's dad, Kelvin, felt when she started chatting and was "her bubbly self again".

Kacey - who has a brother and three sisters - spent nearly nine months at Alder Hey recovering from her ordeal, and last week, she was overjoyed to be finally allowed home to be with her family back in Wigan.

Doctors still don't know whether she will need a wheelchair but with the aid of a walking frame and physiotherapy, Kacey is attempting her first steps again.

Roseanne said: "They called her a Christmas miracle as it was then she decided she wanted to walk."

Her mum added: "She is a little miracle, she's very determined. I think she's stubborn but that's what she needs.

"Without Alder Hey I don't think she wouldn't be here. We'd have ended up with a piece of us missing."