A school girl has been left with a painful blister burn on her arm and hand after brushing against a giant hogweed bush.
Amber Gray was playing in a park on Monday night and accidentally came into contact with the toxic plant.
The 11-year-old initially thought she had caught herself with her own nail after noticing a small scratch on her forearm upon returning home that evening.
But within the next 48 hours later, a large blister rash, which was sore to the touch, began to appear.
Quick thinking mum Angela suspected her youngest daughter had come into contact with hogweed and sought advice from the local nurse.
Primary seven pupil Amber of Inverkeithing, Fife, now faces a lengthy recovery period and must keep the blisters covered and out of direct sunlight.
Mum-of-five Angela told the Daily Record: “She had been out at the park on Monday evening and when she came in, she had a tiny wee scratch on her arm so we didn’t really think anything of it.
“When she got up on Tuesday morning, it looked a wee bit longer than it was when she went to bed and redder.
“I asked what she had done and she said she thought she might have caught it with her nails which she had had done for the leavers' disco
Amber he told her mum she had been in the bushes and Angela thought she had caught it on a branch.
But when she came home from school it had started blistering in the warm sunshine.
Angela added: “I knew then that something wasn’t right. I don’t know why, but hogweed did jump to mind so I showed her a picture and asked if there was anything like that in the park.
“She said there was in the bushes she had been playing in.
“I called the nurse practitioner who asked me to send in photos and to explain what had happened. We ended up going down that night to get her arm dressed."
After further investigation by the nurse she was told that because Amber had been in the sun at school it caused the blisters tom appear.
Amber will now have to keep her blisters covered in a medical dressing until they begin to heal.
Her mum urged parents to be aware of hogweed which produces sap that can cause severe, painful burns as well as making your skin sensitive to strong sunlight.
The NHS recommends washing the affected area with soap and water before covering it if you come into contact with the plant.
The blisters are said to heal very slowly and can develop into phytophotodermatitis, a type of skin rash which flares up in sunlight.