A Game Of Thrones actor who is also the youngest member on his local council has left hospital after catching Covid and needing to be treated with oxygen.

Sam Coleman, 25, was discharged after having to spend three days hooked up to an oxygen machine and nearly a week in hospital.

The actor and district councillor was treated at the Conquest Hospital in Hastings, East Sussex, for a lung infection after catching coronavirus and was admitted on November 20.

Sam, who played the younger version of Hodor in the hit TV series, said his hospital stay was scary, but praised the work of NHS staff who took care of him.

The actor and musician spent nearly a week in hospital and said being double-jabbed against the virus was the “main thing that stopped me sliding into critical status”.

Sam posted pictures on his social media page of him wearing an oxygen mask when he was hooked up to a CPAP machine (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) to help him breathe.

The 25-year-old, who lives in Sidley, East Sussex, said: "It was quite frightening as I was on a Covid ward, but my stats were stable and throughout my blood oxygen was relatively OK, compared to what other patients were going through.

"Others on the ward had to be on ventilation - that must be terrifying. It's scary being on the ward and there's people being taken into ICU and clearly lots of things going on, but the staff were absolutely heroic and made us feel at ease."

Hodor is a servant for the Stark family, who works in the stables and is played by Kristian Nairn.

At age 18, Sam managed to land a part in two episodes of the sixth series playing Young Hodor during scenes depicting the character's early life.

He got to meet many of the star-studded cast and even had a haircut alongside Kit Harington, who played Jon Snow.

Sam also featured in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre prequel, Leatherface in 2017 as well as a Metallica video for their song, ManUNkind.

In 2019 he became the youngest member of Rother District Council when he was elected as a Labour representative for the Bexhill Sidley ward.

After his discharge from hospital on Friday, Sam thanked his followers for their support.

He said: "I feel good, it's nice to be able to breathe properly. I didn't know how long I would take to recover but the hospital staff did an amazing job of flushing the Covid from my system and made sure I'm feeling better.

"I'm just a bit fatigued from the experience, but I generally feel back to normal."

Sam also praised the staff at the Conquest Hospital for the care he received.

He added: "I'm just so humbled by how dedicated they are. Most of the nurses and doctors I spoke to had been there throughout the whole pandemic and yet the care we received was amazing.

"They were so kind and never seemed to be aggravated by the little things. I was expecting them to all be down in the dumps, but they managed to keep moral high, were absolutely professional despite having been on the frontline for nearly two years.

"They and all did an amazing job and made you feel like you weren't on a hospital ward, every single patient was treated as an individual and they made it feel like one big family, that was really amazing."

It emerged this week that a pilot episode of a new Game of Thrones prequel series was cancelled by HBO, despite costing $30million to make.

The fantasy drama ran for eight series, had up to a billion viewers around the world by the time the final series aired in 2019, and earned roughly $3.1billion.