A free climber who scaled the Arndale Food Court during a Black Lives Matter protest has narrowly avoided jail.
“Arrogant” Adam Lockwood, 19, was banned from climbing buildings and cranes, surfing trains trams and buses and entering construction sites in England and Wales last year.
But the Wigan teenager - who is said to be “seeking celebrity and financial reward” - breached the injunction order twice this summer, including during a huge protest in Manchester city centre.
On June 7 Lockwood stood on the roof of the Arndale Food Court entrance during the Black Lives Matter protest, Manchester County Court heard.
Get the latest updates from across Greater Manchester direct to your inbox with the free MEN newsletter
You can sign up very simply by following the instructions here
Then on June 16, he dangled from the edge of a 600ft balcony at the Madison Building, in London’s Canary Wharf.
On both occasions footage of this was uploaded to the internet.
Lockwood has 6.92K subscribers on his YouTube channel, ‘The Little Nuisance’, where he posts videos of his death-defying stunts across Europe.
As a result Lockwood found himself back in court last Thursday, August 6 where he was handed a suspended sentence after continuing to risk his life scaling tall buildings.
Manchester City Council secured a three year anti-social behaviour injunction order against Lockwood back in July 2019.
The order prohibited him from climbing buildings and cranes, riding on the exterior of buses, trams and trains and entering construction sites in England and Wales.
This was a result of the defendant gaining notoriety online after posting videos of himself risking his life, and the lives of others, by hanging off the sides of buildings and cranes in Manchester, the council says.
Manchester County Court heard details of the latest incidents during Lockwood’s appearance last week.
It was also heard that he had further breached his order on July 5 this year when he left an abusive message on a council answering machine, stating that a council officer should be “shanked up” in the street.
In mitigation, Lockwood’s solicitor said that the teenager is seeking celebrity and financial reward from YouTube.
“It’s all about YouTube hits. YouTube pay,” they said.
District Judge Lindsay Clarke sentenced Lockwood to 12 weeks in prison, suspended for two years.
The judge condemned Lockwood’s “deliberate, knowing and wilful” breach of his order, the fact that the stunts were clearly premeditated, and added that promoting his stunts during a pandemic was the “height of stupidity” and motivated by “arrogance” and a “greed for celebrity.”
He was also ordered to pay costs of £255, subject to an assessment of his means.
Speaking after the hearing, Councillor Nigel Murphy, deputy leader of Manchester City Council, said he was pleased with the result.
“As the judge in this case highlighted, the actions of Lockwood were motivated solely by greed and his ambition to aggrandise himself,” he said.
“These actions under normal circumstances are incredibly dangerous and not only put his life in danger, but the lives of other people. However, to do this during a pandemic, when emergency services and council staff are already stretched to their limit defies all logic.
“Our staff do an incredibly tough job at times and they do not deserve to be targeted with verbal abuse and threats of violence from people like Lockwood.
“I am glad that our anti-social behaviour team and legal staff were able to secure this conviction.”