The family of a man found dead in Blackley earlier this week have paid tribute to the ‘kind gentleman who got on with everybody’.
Police were called to reports of the body of a man being found in a wooded area at around 11am on Monday (October 25) .
The man, whose body was discovered just off Victoria Avenue in Blackley , has since been identified as John Houghton.
READ MORE : Yousef Makki inquest WILL go ahead next month - despite Joshua Molnar's lawyers arguing 'no sufficient case'
Mr Houghton, 55, went missing from his home address at The Quadrant on September 12.
There are not believed to be any suspicious circumstances surrounding his death, police said.
Paying tribute to his uncle, on behalf of his family, Ryan Houghton, from Oldham, said he was surrounded by brothers and sisters.
“He was a nice man and had quite a lot of friends he was well known by,” he said.
“He’s got all his family who care about him and who are going to miss him very much.
“He was a kind gentleman, he got on with everybody.”
Speaking to the Manchester Evening News , Ryan said his uncle used to work as a security guard, but following a diagnosis of COPD and asthma, he wasn’t currently working.
Mr Houghton wasn’t married or had children, but he enjoyed spending time with his great nieces and nephews.
A big Manchester United fan, Mr Houghton enjoyed watching the games with family and friends.
“He used to love going on holidays to Tenerife with his friends, he was always happy,” Ryan said.
Speaking of his death, he said: “We don’t know what’s happened, it came as a shock to us all.
“He’s going to be missed by all his family and friends and people that know him from where he lived.”
In a statement earlier this week, a GMP spokesperson said: "Police were called around 11.05am on Monday 25 October to Victoria Avenue East, Manchester to a report of the discovery of the body of a man.
"Emergency services attended and he was sadly pronounced dead at the scene.
"Following enquiries it has now been confirmed to be missing 55-year-old John Houghton.
"His next of kin have been informed.
"There are not believed to be any suspicious circumstances surrounding his death and a file will be passed to the coroner."
Sign up to the MEN email newsletters to get the latest on sport, news, what's on and more by following this link