The family of an "absolute gentleman" strangled to death in his own home paid tribute to their loved one today as they desperately try to raise money to pay for his funeral.

Glen Hopgood, who would 'share his last pound with anyone', had a great sense of humour and entertained friends with his one-liner jokes, his son revealed today.

Mr Hopgood, 52, was murdered in his home in Weybridge, Surrey earlier this month and a 59-year-old man was arrested at the scene and charged with murder.

Ralph Carter is awaiting trial at Guildford Crown Court later in the spring.

Today as the family tried to raise money to be able to pay for Mr Hopgood's funeral, his son, Glenny, paid tribute to his murdered father.

He said: "Dad was one of the funniest people you would meet. He loved his jokes and his one-liners. He wore his heart on his sleeve and was always laughing with a smile on his face.

"He loved his family and his dog Archie was his best mate. He was also a huge Chelsea FC fan - football was really important to him.

A forensic team attends the scene of murder in Old Palace Road

"Dad really enjoyed his films and music. He always took the time to speak to people and always said hello to everyone.

He was very generous and would share his last pound. He was a true one of a kind."

A spokesman for Surrey Police said: "The family are raising money to help pay for Glen's funeral."

To donate, please go to their Just Giving page.

A police cordon in place at the time of the murder

Police and paramedics called to Mr Hopgood's house shortly after midnight on January 8 found the 52-year-old man unconscious and in cardiac arrest.

He was rushed by an ambulance crew to hospital where he as certified dead.

Read More

Top news stories from Mirror Online

It was understood that murder suspect Ralph Carter was arrested at the house in Old Palace Road, Weybridge, Surrey and taken to police cells to be questioned.

A spokesman for Surrey Police said today that Carter had been charged with murdering Mr Hopgood and had been remanded in custody to await trial.