A family of four managed to escape the roaring flames of a house fire.
Fire crews were called to Christ Church Street in Bacup after a 'severe fire' broke out in the kitchen at around 10.47pm yesterday (December 17).
The family managed to flee the house, with one occupant suffering from slight burns and another suffering from smoke inhalation. They were both treated at the scene.
Two fire engines rushed to the scene and four firefighters used breathing apparatus and two hose reels to battle the blaze.
As they entered the house, crews rescued two cats and a hamster.
The property was engulfed in smoke and a ventilation unit was used to remove it, with crews in attendance for a total of three hours.
A spokesperson for Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service said: "Two appliances from Bacup were called to reports of a house fire on Christ Church Street, Bacup. On arrival Crews found a severe fire the kitchen. Four breathing apparatus wearers using two hose Reels extinguished the fire.
"A ventilation unit was used to remove smoke from the property. The kitchen was severely damaged by fire with the remainder of the property having extensive smoke damage. A family of four escaped the fire prior to the Fire Service’s arrival. Fortunately, they had a working smoke alarm.
"One occupant had slight burns and one occupant suffered from the effects of smoke inhalation. Both received treatment at the scene. Two cats and an hamster were rescued by fire fighters. Crews were in attendance for three hours."
The fire service says that the family managed to escape because they had working smoke alarms which alerted them to the situation.
The spokesperson added: "Fortunately all the occupants escaped the property due to having working smoke alarms. The Fire Service would urge residents to fit smoke alarms and check them regularly.
"If you are in any doubt with regards to your smoke alarm, we provide a free home Fire Safety check."