The family of a 13-year-old boy who became UK's youngest coronavirus victim have hailed a "loving son with a heartwarming smile".

Devastated relatives of Ismail Mohamed Abdulwahab also urged people to "stay at home as much as they possibly can, to protect the NHS and save lives".

Schoolboy Ismail became the UK's youngest coronavirus victim when it was announced yesterday he had died without any family members close by due to the highly infectious nature of Covid-19.

The teenager from Brixton, London, had no underlying health conditions but died at Kings College Hospital on Monday morning after being put into an induced coma.

His family, in a statement issued through GoFundMe, said: "We are heartbroken as a family due to the devastation caused by the coronavirus as it becomes too real for us as a family and community.

"Ismail was a loving son, brother, nephew to our family and a friend to many people who knew him. His smile was heart-warming and he was always gentle and kind."

Follow the latest coronavirus updates in our live blog

King's College Hospital in South London

They went on: "As a family, we have decided not to release Ismail's picture at this juncture as we are concerned where it may end up and how this will impact us upon seeing it.

"We as a family are still trying to come to terms with the sudden death of Ismail. He leaves behind six siblings who are completely devastated and this has been made more difficult not being able to be with Ismail while he was in the hospital."

Read More

Coronavirus outbreak

The family added: "Covid-19 is a virus that is attacking all members of our society, not just older people or those with pre-existing conditions.

"So please do everything you can to ensure that we adhere to social distancing; that people stay at home as much as they possibly can, to protect the NHS and save lives."

The family's statement comes as the UK death's toll rises by a record 563 in the past 24 hours to a total of 2,352.

Luca Di Nicola, 19, was told by doctors 'not to worry about coronavirus'

Yesterday the family of another teenager who died from coronavirus said their son also had no underlying health conditions.

Luca Di Nicola was a 'healthy' 19-year-old chef who had been living in north London and working at mum Clarissa's Italian restaurant in Enfield.

NHS England yesterday afternoon announced that a 19-year-old was among 28 patients to have been killed despite having no pre-existing health problems.

It was understood to be Luca.

A 12-year-old girl is believed to be the youngest person to die in Europe after contracting coronavirus.

The girl, who died at a hospital in Belgium, is among the youngest victims in the world.

His voice trembling, distraught spokesman for Belgium's government Emmanuel Andre announced the girl's death, telling reporters "it is an emotionally difficult moment because it involves a child".

Mr Andre said medics were left deeply upset when the girl lost her fight for life on Monday.

He was visibly upset while delivering the devastating news and then left the press conference, leaving a colleague to continue, Belgian media reported.

Mr Andre said: "It is obviously an emotionally difficult moment because it involves a child.

"It has also upset the medical and scientific communities.

"We are thinking of her family and friends. It is an event that is very rare, but one which upsets us greatly."

Virologist Steven van Gucht said the girl's condition deteriorated after three days of fever.

He said: "Yesterday, a 12-year-old girl passed away. She tested positive for the coronavirus.

"The child suddenly deteriorated after three days of fever."