Formula One's curtain-raiser in Australia next month will not be axed despite fears over the spread of the deadly coronavirus.

F1 chiefs have already been forced to cancel the Chinese Grand Prix, which was scheduled to take place in Shanghai on April 19, due to the outbreak.

And the spread of the virus in northern Italy, where Ferrari and the Alpha Tauri team are based, has led to growing concerns over whether the new season will be further affected.

But Victoria's sports minister has confirmed that the 2020 season opener will take place at Melbourne's Albert Park on March 15.

The Australian Grand Prix is due to take place in Melbourne next month

“Melbourne is the only city in the world to host a Formula One race and a Grand Slam tennis tournament, and we look forward to the Grand Prix celebrating 25 years at Albert Park on March 15,” said Martin Pakula.

And in a further boost to F1, Vietnam's first-ever F1 race will also go ahead as planned on April 5.

F1 chief executive Chase Carey has said that "all systems are go" and he plans to visit Hanoi immediately after the Australian GP.

"The Vietnam Grand Prix will take place on April 5 in Hanoi. And to anticipate another question, we do plan to proceed with the race," he said.

Formula One CEO Chase Carey has claimed that the first three races of the season will go ahead

Read More

Sport top stories

"We're heading to Melbourne, heading to Bahrain and heading to Hanoi."

The street race in Hanoi will be the third round of the season and the local promoter said the last 150 metres of the 23-turn 5.6km track was laid last week along the start/finish line.

"We are ready and can't wait to welcome the world to Hanoi very soon," Vietnam Grand Prix Corporation CEO Le Ngoc Chi said in a statement.

A badminton Olympic qualifier scheduled for Vietnam from March 24-29 was postponed to June on Tuesday due to "strict health protection restrictions in place in Vietnam".