Great Britain

Ex-Militant member Derek Hatton arrested on suspicion of witness intimidation in corruption probe


FORMER Militant member Derek Hatton was arrested on suspicion of witness intimidation in a corruption probe.

The ex-deputy leader of Liverpool city council, aged 72, was held as cops investigate corruption into property deals, it has been reported.

Officers have been working on Operation Aloft since last year looking at deals between the city’s town hall and property developers.

The mayor Joe Anderson has been released on bail along with a total of four others by detectives investigating bribery and witness intimidation.

Merseyside Police said in a statement: “We can confirm that five people arrested in connection with offences of bribery and witness intimidation as part of an investigation on into building and development contracts in Liverpool have been released on conditional bail pending further inquiries.”

Anderson, 62, was detained on Friday and taken to a police station for questioning.

A spokesman for the council said: “Liverpool city council is co-operating with Merseyside police in relation to its investigation.

"We do not comment on matters relating to individuals.”

Liverpool Mayor Joe Anderson suspended from Labour after conspiracy to commit bribery & witness intimidation arrest

GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL [email protected]

Football news:

Conte on 2-1 with Milan: Before the winning goal, the result was unfair. Their goalkeeper is the best player of the match
Mikel Arteta: Arsenal did everything right, but they lost. Wins give confidence
Nicolo Barella: We proved that we are stronger than Milan
Go do your voodoo shit, you little ass. Ibrahimovic-Lukaku during the Cup match
Pioli on the defeat by Inter: The only difference was the relegation. There could be any result in equal teams
UEFA has no plans to abandon the Euro in 12 cities. Other options are undesirable
Eriksen scored for Inter for the first time in almost six months - Milan in the Cup in the 97th minute from a free kick