An Elite League ice hockey star broke a man's jaw during a street attack on a team night out to celebrate beating their local rivals.

Lukas Nielsen ran up behind a couple and attacked them without warning after leaving the Underground nightclub in Dundee at 2.30am.

Danish star Nielsen, 26, assaulted Erin McGee by pushing her to the ground as she tried to get between him and her friend Gabriel Mos.

He then launched a series of blows at Mr Mos which left him out cold on the ground and with a broken jaw which required braces to hold it together.

The Daily Record and Sunday Mail have always been at the forefront when it comes to reporting crime in Scotland.

But did you know all the ways you can stay informed of the top crime and courts headlines?

We share live crime news and exclusive court stories as well as features and columns on historical cases, keeping our readers informed and updated across the country.

Fiscal depute Gavin Burton told Dundee Sheriff Court: "He was a professional ice hockey player, playing for Dundee Stars. He has since returned to Denmark.

"The complainers and a third person with them became aware of the accused running up behind them and acting aggressively towards others.

"She put herself between the parties and he pushed her to the ground. Others challenged his behaviour. The accused then punched Mr Mos in the face.

"The accused was removed by others and a struggle ensued. He approached Mr Mos again and punched him on the head, causing him to fall to the ground.

"He did not get back up. Police arrived and found Mr Mos lying on the ground surrounded by others. He was conscious and talking."

Door staff apprehended Nielsen and handed him to police.

The case was heard at Dundee Sheriff Court
The case was heard at Dundee Sheriff Court

Mr Burton said: "The complainer had a fractured left lower jaw. A filling was missing as it had been knocked out.

“Temporary braces were needed in the mouth to hold it together while it healed."

When he was arrested and quizzed by police, Nielsen - who is about to sign for a Polish league team - said: "It was a one on one."

Solicitor Mike Short, defending, said: "His behaviour was out of character. He is not a drinker but it had been a local derby between Dundee and Fife and the team had gone out after.

"There had been an earlier incident involving Mr Nielsen and his friend and his friend had been hurt.

“He rightly or wrongly assumed it was the complainer or other persons and went after them.

"There was a lot of pushing and shoving. He is not a small chap and ice hockey is not a soft sport. He didn't have to get involved. He's not blaming others.

"The injuries to the lady were superficial but he still should not have pushed her over. No person should be fighting in the streets of Dundee.

"His contract came up for renewal in April after this incident and it was not renewed - he suspects as a result of this behaviour. He does not blame the team for that decision."

Mr Short said Nielsen had been struggling to pursue his career with the court case hanging over him and was living with his parents to save money.

"His parents were disappointed in him. There can be certain entertainment value in ice hockey when hands are raised, but that is not the case with him.

“He loves it for the love of the game."

Nielson, formerly of Hillcrest Road, Dundee, admitted attacking Mr Mos in South Tay Street on 18 February 2019 by repeatedly punching him on the head causing him to fall to the ground to his severe injury.

Nielsen, who played 83 times in two seasons for Dundee Stars, also admitted attacking and injuring Erin McGee by pushing her on the body and causing her to fall to the ground to her injury.

Sheriff Alistair Carmichael deferred sentence on Nielsen, who had flown to Scotland to appear in court in person, for the preparation of background reports.

Dundee Stars had beaten their nearest rivals Fife Flyers 4-1.

Don't miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond - Sign up to our daily newsletter here .