More than 700 new cases of Covid-19 were confirmed across the North West in just 24 hours.

Public Health England released the new figures yesterday (April 9).

In Lancashire, the daily increase dropped to below 100, with an increase of 92.

That brings the overall total for people who have tested positive for coronavirus to 1,304 in the county.

That includes 111 in Lancashire County Council managed areas, 98 in Blackpool and 95 in Blackburn with Darwen.

However due to limited testing availability, the true figure is believed to be much higher.

The number of people in Lancashire who have died after contracting the virus stands at 132.

There have been 24 recorded deaths at Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, 30 at Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, 23 at East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust and 38 at Southport & Ormskirk NHS Trust.

University of Morecambe NHS Trust has recorded 76 deaths. 17 of these were confirmed at Royal Lancaster Infirmary. The Trust has been unable to verify the locations of the latest deaths since Monday.

Meanwhile, across the North West as whole, including Manchester, Liverpool and Cumbria, there are now a total of 7,681 cases.

That includes 223 confirmed cases in Bolton, 177 in Bury, 257 in Cheshire East, 289 in Cheshire West and Chester, 936 in Cumbria, 148 in Halton, 227 in Knowsley, 634 in Liverpool, 454 in Manchester, 267 in Oldham, 209 in Rochdale, 285 in Salford, 351 in Sefton, 306 in St Helens, 338 in Stockport, 217 in Tameside, 272 in Trafford, 211 in Warrington, 223 in Wigan, and 353 in Wirral.

You can enter a postcode below to find out the cases near you.


Across the UK, the number of people dying from coronavirus continues to rise.

The Department for Health and Social Care announced a further 881 deaths yesterday, bringing the total to 7,978.

So far, a total of 298,169 people have been tested for the virus.

Of those, as many as 65,077 have tested positive.

The figures come as people are urged to heed instructions that they should stay at home over Easter, amid fears that a warm start to the weekend could see lockdown rules broken.

There were encouraging signs on Thursday that the public were largely following the strict guidelines, with traffic levels showing an absence of a mass weekend getaway.

Councils across the UK have warned anyone planning weekend trips that they can expect to be turned away by police.

Tourist hotspots have also said holidaymakers and second homeowners are not welcome during the Easter weekend.

Despite the warnings, police did catch some making journeys in contravention of the rules on Thursday.

Read More

Coronavirus in Lancashire

In Cumbria, police said they caught several people heading to the Lake District from outside the area.

Officers encouraged those caught to go home, including two men from Yorkshire who “chose to head to Windermere for a spot of canoeing”.

The coronavirus lockdown will have to remain in place for “several more weeks” scientists have warned as ministers appealed to public to stay at home for Easter.

Experts advising the Government on the crisis said the social-distancing measures introduced last month appeared to be working better than expected.

However they insisted there could be no relaxation of the restrictions until it was clear the peak of the epidemic was past.

The warning followed the announcement on Thursday that Boris Johnson had been discharged from intensive care at St Thomas’ Hospital where he is being treated for the disease.

Downing Street said that he was in “extremely good spirits” and would be receiving close monitoring during “the early phase of his recovery”.

With fine weather forecast for many parts of the country over the long bank holiday weekend, minister fear people may flout the rules and flock to beaches and beauty spots.

NHS England’s national medical director Stephen Powis said it was “critical” that people obeyed the instructions and stayed at home.

“We are beginning to see the benefits of this social distancing. We do believe the virus is spreading less” he said.

“That will only continue to happen if we don’t get complacent and continue to follow those instructions.”

The Government is due to carry out the first three-week review of the lockdown measures next week.