Great Britain

Everton news and transfers - Luis Alberto bid

Welcome to the Liverpool ECHO's Monday  live blog for your latest Everton news, rumours and transfer gossip.

Everton are reportedly interested in signing Luis Alberto and Daniel James, while Moise Kean is being eyed by Juventus.

Send your thoughts to @LivEchoEFC or @ConnorOn95, subscribe to our FREEEverton FC newsletter, our YouTube channel and listen to our Royal Blue Podcast.

Latest Royal Blue podcast

Everton finally got back to winning ways on Sunday....just about.

A Dominic Calvert-Lewin double and an Abdoulaye Doucoure header were enough to secure a 3-2 win over Fulham after what was an extremely nervy second half.

There were a good number of positives to take from the match but still clear room for improvement, making for some interesting conversation.

Adam Jones is joined by Dave Prentice, Gav Buckland and Connor O’Neill to discuss Everton’s formation change, defensive issues, Richarlison’s return and Dominic Calvert-Lewin’s incredible scoring run.

Lots for the lads to talk about as ever!

Stadium update

Football stadiums are due to be allowed to re-open from December 2 once the second coronavirus lockdown is eased.

And it has been announced that 4,000 spectators - or 50 percent of a stadium’s capacity for outdoor events, depending on which is lower - are set to be allowed in Tier 1 areas as well as 2,000 spectators or 50 per cent capacity for indoor events also allowed.

While areas in Tier 2 will also be allowed 2,000 spectators/50 percent capacity outdoors, whichever is lower, and 1,000/ 50 percent indoors.

Areas in Tier 2 will not be allowed to have spectators in attendance.

It is not yet known which Tier Liverpool will be placed into.

Everton are preparing thoroughly for when government guidelines permit Blues fans to return safely to Goodison Park
Everton are preparing thoroughly for when government guidelines permit Blues fans to return safely to Goodison Park (Image: PA)

Everton linked with Mariano

Everton are reportedly interested in signing Mariano Diaz from Real Madrid.

Sport claim the Blues are looking to sign the striker, who has no future at the Bernabeu despite so far resisting Zinedine Zidane’s efforts to sell him.

The same report claims Atletico Madrid have joined the race for his signature, crediting Lyon, West Ham and Crystal Palace with interest alongside Carlo Ancelotti’s side.

Mariano Diaz of Real Madrid during the Audi Cup match between Real Madrid v Fenerbahce at the Allianz Arena
Mariano Diaz of Real Madrid during the Audi Cup match between Real Madrid v Fenerbahce at the Allianz Arena

Fulham moment missed

Our man Adam Jones has taken a look at some moments missed from yesterday’s game with Fulham.

Everton ‘to bid’ for Luis Alberto

Everton have again been linked with Luis Alberto according to reports in Italy.

According to Il Tempo, cited by the Express, the Spaniard is facing tough questions about his future at Lazio after clashing with club bosses.

He faces a potential £63k fine from the Italian side and it has been suggested the midfielder could be left out of Simone Inzaghi’s squad this weekend.

Everton are said to be monitoring his situation and could bid for his services in January.

Luis Alberto Romero of Lazio reacts during the Serie A match between SS Lazio and Bologna FC at Stadio Olimpico
Luis Alberto Romero of Lazio reacts during the Serie A match between SS Lazio and Bologna FC at Stadio Olimpico

Cahill pinpoints area Everton need to improve

Tim Cahill believes that Everton’s communication between defenders and midfielders needs to improve following Sunday’s victory against Fulham.

While discussing Fulham’s second goal, Cahill said that Everton’s communication need to improve and that centre-back Michael Keane should be helping them achieve that by being more assertive.

The Australian replied when asked if Everton should be concerned about how they dropped off in the second-half:

“A little bit.

“You’ve got to give Scott Parker some credit, because he made the right substitutions, he made sure he brought on a bit of fire power and Loftus-Cheek I think was superb coming on because he gave them that added dimension.

“This is where Everton are coming unstuck. The communication between the defenders and the midfield. I said it in the first-half, it’s something that’s worried me weeks ago, but it’s a great finish.

“It’s not an easy thing but at the same time you’ve got Michael Keane there who’s quite assertive...say ‘hey, get back in, follow your runners until you pass him on’. So just be a little more assertive and things like this can be fixed, because it’s just small details.”

Ex Everton player Tim Cahill
Ex Everton player Tim Cahill (Image: Clive Brunskill/Getty Images)

Richarlison shines on return, but problems remain

There are always going to be plenty of talking points after a match featuring five goals, and Adam Jones has analysed them in-depth here.

As Jones notes in the piece, “every side of Everton came crawling to the surface at some point of Sunday’s match,” as there were certainly positives and negatives in the game.

Where individual errors continue to undermine the Blues’ defensive efforts – they’ve conceded two-or-more goals in seven of their nine league games this season – there were at least impressive performances from Richarlison and Lucas Digne to tip the balance in Everton’s favour.

After an entertaining but unnecessarily close game, there’s plenty for Blues supporters to discuss.

Abdoulaye Doucoure celebrates with team mates during the match between Fulham and Everton at Craven Cottage
Abdoulaye Doucoure celebrates with team mates during the match between Fulham and Everton at Craven Cottage (Image: Tony McArdle/Everton FC via Getty Images)

James move blow

Everton signing Daniel James in January would be a “sensible” transfer, but Manchester United have been tipped to block the move.

James has been limited to just three appearances in the Premier League this season with speculation growing about his future at the club.

Leeds United were linked with signing the Wales international during the summer transfer window, but nothing concrete ever materialised.

And now it is claimed that Carlo Ancelotti would be hoping to sign James on a loan in January.

But the former Sunderland and Southampton striker believes United will block any attempts from Everton to sign James.

Phillips told Football Insider:

“When he went to United last season he was buzzing and full of life but he hit a brick wall.

“He has fallen away a bit but he is a young lad. He is going to have tough periods.

“I would like to see him stay and fight for his place at Manchester United but his involvement this season suggests to me that he is not really a big part of Solskjaer’s plans.

“It will have been a disappointing start to the season for him but I cannot see Manchester United allowing him to leave for Everton.

“But it would be a sensible move by Everton to sign James as backup for Richarlison.”

Daniel James during the Premier League match between Manchester United and Crystal Palace at Old Trafford
Daniel James during the Premier League match between Manchester United and Crystal Palace at Old Trafford (Image: Matthew Ashton - AMA/Getty Images)

Concussion substitutions to be discussed

Football’s lawmakers will set out plans today for concussion substitutes to become part of the game.

The International Football Association Board are discussing the matter in a video conference call, according to a report from Sportsmail.

The report adds that the focus will be on protocol, trials and timelines for experiments, with additional permanent head-injury substitutions rather than temporary replacements.

The Premier League wants to become part of the trials, which are expected to be introduced from January, and a final decision on the matter will be made when IFAB meets again next month.

FIFA have confirmed they have extended the temporary law change to allow five substitutions per match.
A Premier League substitutions board

Iwobi praise

Match of the Day pundit Danny Murphy has praised Alex Iwobi’s performance against Fulham yesterday.

The Blues switched to a three-at-the-back against Fulham on Sunday afternoon in a bid to both make them more solid defensively and to unlock the attacking output that was so strong at the beginning of the term.

But with Seamus Coleman out, and despite having Jonjoe Kenny as part of the travelling party to London, Alex Iwobi was instead chosen as the right wing back in this new system, playing just ahead of Ben Godfrey on that side.

And Murphy was impressed with what he saw from the former Arsenal man.

He said:

“I thought Iwobi was superb, we know about Digne’s quality on the crossing, Calvert-Lewin is on fire and Fulham couldn’t cope with them.

“They got better in the second half but both the wing-backs for Everton enjoyed their freedom because they knew they had a defender behind them to protect them.

“Iwobi, it’s the best I’ve seen him in an Everton shirt for a while. He is generally a winger and he really got some quality balls into the box.”

Dominic Calvert-Lewin celebrates with James Rodrigue, Abdoulaye Doucoure, Richarlison Alex Iwobi and Allan during the match between Fulham and Everton at Craven Cottage
Dominic Calvert-Lewin celebrates with James Rodrigue, Abdoulaye Doucoure, Richarlison Alex Iwobi and Allan during the match between Fulham and Everton at Craven Cottage (Image: Tony McArdle/Everton FC via Getty Images)

Kean eyed by Juve

Juventus is giving early consideration to signing Moise Kean on a transfer deal next year.

According to a report from the Italian-based outlet CalcioMercato, Juve is thinking of bringing Kean back to the club next summer, but are set to face competition from PSG.

The forward is currently on a season-long stint with the French side, but there is no option to buy in the deal, so Kean will be returning to his parent club Everton next year as things stand.

Moise Kean has made a strong start at PSG
Moise Kean (Image: Xavier Laine/Getty Images)

Ancelotti gives verdict on Calvert-Lewin’s Golden Boot chances

Carlo Ancelotti has insisted Dominic Calvert-Lewin is not focused on simply winning the Premier League Golden Boot this season.

The 23-year-old took his tally to ten with a brace in Saturday’s 3-2 win at Fulham.

But Ancelotti has claimed the priority for Calvert-Lewin is to help Everton climb the table.

He said:

“Really I don’t know, I hope for him! And it will be good for us for him to win the Golden Boot!

“I think the target is not this, the target is to score goals to help the team to be at the top of the table.

“I think that now, in this moment, he’s really focused in the box.

“Every ball that arrives from crosses, he’s there. He’s doing really well honestly, I didn’t expect any more, just to have the consistency that he’s had in this period.”

Dominic Calvert-Lewin has been impressing Carlo Ancelotti
Dominic Calvert-Lewin has been impressing Carlo Ancelotti

Carlo Ancelotti's verdict

Here is what the Blues boss had to say after yesterday's win.

Rise and shine!

Rise and shine, Blues fans! It's the day another Everton win!

You've come to the right place for all the post-match build-up, as well as all the latest Blues news and transfer gossip.

Don't go anywhere!

Football news:

In Spanish for 70 years there is a phraseology about Alcoyano. It's about an outsider who does not give up until the last
Andrea Pirlo: Criticism is inevitable when you are suddenly appointed Juve coach, but the results will say everything for me
Zidane on relegation from the 3rd League club: It's not a shame, let's not go crazy. Real Madrid wants to win, sometimes it doesn't come out
Real Madrid were eliminated from the Spanish Cup for the fifth time by a team from the 3rd league
Solskjaer on 2-1 with Fulham: Having conceded, Manchester United woke up and played a good match. Pogba played well
Manchester United won a Premier League match for the 94th time, conceding first. This is a record of the tournament
Pirlo took the first trophy as a coach-snatched the Super Cup from Gattuso. And once they won together