A WOMAN has died after fire broke out in the kitchen of her bungalow.

Firefighters were called out at just after 2.30pm on Saturday on Millais Gardens in South Shields, although the fire was out by the time they got there.

Crews quickly located the elderly female resident and performed CPR until the arrival of paramedics, who transported her to hospital.

Investigations are ongoing with Northumbria Police in an attempt to establish the cause.

Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service’s area manager Lynsey McVay said: “This is a tragic incident and our deepest sympathies are with the family and friends of this lady.

“This terrible accident reminds us all about the need to be aware of the risks present in a kitchen, and how to try and avoid them.

“It goes without saying that all homes should also have working smoke alarms on every level. “Please test them regularly to keep yourself and your family safe.

“If you do hear a smoke alarm activating, regardless of the location, please do not ignore it. Don’t investigate yourself, just call us on 999.

“If you are aware of an elderly or vulnerable neighbour, you can request a home safety check for them by visiting our website.

“If there is a fire in your home, we would advise that you Get out, Stay Out and call 999.”