Great Britain

‘Eco-warriors’ Prince Harry and Meghan Markle drive off in gas-guzzling Cadillac SUV after trip to Beverly Hills

MEGHAN Markle and Prince Harry were snapped hopping into a gas-guzzling SUV in Los Angeles last week.

The couple were seen wearing coronavirus face masks as they stepped out in Beverly Hills on Friday.

But the pair – who often lecture others on the need to fight climate change – were spotted hopping into their enormous £80,000 Cadillac Escalade.

The beast of a car, with its six-litre engine, has been dubbed in online reviews as being “as far from environmentally-friendly as you can get”, Mail Online reports.

Meghan, wearing a $76 Magic Linnen asymmetric cream dress with a pair of sunglasses and a straw hat, lead the way to the waiting car.

Harry was seen in a grey polo, jeans and baseball cap, following in her wake.

Their one-year-old son, Archie, was not pictured with them.

'PREACHING AGAIN'

The former Royals have previously been accused of hypocrisy over their repeated use of private jets while urging the public to watch their carbon footprint.

He gave a speech last year saying: “We could all do better.

“While no one is perfect, we all have a responsibility for our own individual impact.”

Harry responded to criticism by insisting he flies commercial “99 per cent of the time” and that he “offsets his CO2” whenever he is forced to fly privately to protect his family.

But Piers Morgan was among those to slam him, saying: "Prince Harry preaching about the environment again.

"He can do this, or be a constant private-jet-setting celebrity. Not both."

The latest photos come just days after Markle today declared "I'm not on trial" as she launched a bid to ban the "vicious" naming of five pals interviewed by a US magazine.

The Duchess of Sussex has always denied giving her pals permission to defend her to People magazine in the explosive chat.

The five close friends of the duchess were interviewed but not named - with Meghan now applying to the High Court to stop their identities being revealed.

The interview revealed that Meghan, 38, had written a letter to her estranged father Thomas Markle, three months after he was unable to walk her down the aisle following a heart attack.

The letter was then published by the Mail on Sunday - with Meghan now suing its publisher Associated Newspapers for breaching her privacy.

The newspaper denies the allegations, saying Mr Markle wanted its content published to correct false impressions her friends had given about the contents in their magazine interviews.

And while Meghan said she had not given her friends permission to speak out, she today hit out at the prospect of them being named if they are called to give evidence.

In a witness statement submitted as part of the application the duchess said: "These five women are not on trial, and nor am I. The publisher of the Mail on Sunday is the one on trial.

"It is this publisher that acted unlawfully and is attempting to evade accountability; to create a circus and distract from the point of this case - that the Mail on Sunday unlawfully published my private letter.

"Each of these women is a private citizen, young mother, and each has a basic right to privacy.

"Both the Mail on Sunday and the court system have their names on a confidential schedule, but for the Mail on Sunday to expose them in the public domain for no reason other than clickbait and commercial gain is vicious and poses a threat to their emotional and mental wellbeing."

A Mail on Sunday spokesperson today said they had "absolutely no intention" of publishing the identities of Meghan's five friends.

They said: "But their evidence is at the heart of the case and we see no reason why their identities should be kept secret.

"That is why we told the Duchess's lawyers last week that the question of their confidentiality should be properly considered by the court."

Harry and Meghan discuss fairness and justice during The Queen's Commonwealth Trust conversation

Football news:

Keylor Navas may miss the match against Leipzig due to a hip injury
Chelsea plans to buy rice. West ham demand more than 80 million pounds for the prop
Dybala intends to stay in Juve, despite real's Interest. The player wants 15 million euros a year, Torino offer 10
🌪 In 2008, Leipzig did not exist yet, and now it is in the semi-finals of the Champions League. It took real 54 years to do this
Nagelsmann reached the semi-finals of the Champions League at the age of 33. He will play against Tuchel, who advised him to become a coach
Olmo from Leipzig missed out on Barcelona – because of two Koreans and Bartomeu's politics. Tried to return, but Dani refused for Nagelsmann
Saul: RB Leipzig was better than Atletico the entire match