Heading out on his last route, bus driver Barry Wilkinson has still not officially been told he no longer has a job.
He is one of around 120 drivers put out of work by the collapse of Halton Transport on Friday following days of speculation about the future of the council-run bus company.
He told the ECHO: “It’s disgusting, basically, absolutely disgusting.
“We found out it might be closing down on Tuesday, but I’ve not been told anything.
“All we got told was that Arriva were having an open day, and the lads from Warrington came down to say they’re recruiting drivers.”
On Friday morning, a "Final Staff Notice" appeared at the company's depot asking staff to "submit your finale timesheet" and wishing them "good luck".
Arriva North West has already agreed to take on some of Halton Transport’s routes after it officially ceased trading today, and Barry has already applied.
He said: “All I’ve got left is a medical, so I might have a job on Monday.”
However, aged 61, he added it would be a struggle for him to get another job if Arriva didn’t take him on.
But at least drivers are in demand.
Another Halton Transport employee, who has spent 18 years at the company and declined to give his name, said he would struggle as he was a “shunter”, one of those employed to move the buses around the depot and refuel them.
He explained: “A lot of drivers, when they get older, they move into the garage before they retire.
“Those companies will have a list of people waiting for those shunters’ jobs.”
With his wife also being told this week that her hours were being reduced, he said, “it doesn’t get much worse”.
Outside, a small cluster of drivers were angry because they said they were told back in March their jobs would be safe.
That same March, the company recorded annual losses of nearly £620,000 and had to be bailed out four months later with a council loan.
One of the drivers told the ECHO: “I’m absolutely, genuinely gutted.
“I’ve been here nearly 20 years, I was talking to one of the engineers, he’s been here 35 years, and we had to walk away from each other, our bottom lips were going.
“It’s our life. It’s absolutely disgusting what’s been done to us.”
Looking for the latest news where you live?
Our free new website In Your Area has news and other information like jobs, funeral notices, traffic and travel, houses for sale and more - based around your postcode
We also have an In Your Area app that's free to download to your phone too.
Unite, which represents the majority of Halton Transport's workers, pledged to give maximum support to its members.
Unite regional officer John Boughton said: “This is a very sad state of affairs, but not unexpected as this has been on the cards for some time. It was one of last remaining bus companies in the country that were municipally-owned.
“The worsening financial situation was exacerbated by delays to the works on the Silver Jubilee Bridge.
“Other bus operators will be taking over services in the Runcorn and Widnes areas and we understand that they are actively recruiting drivers previously employed by Halton Transport.
“Unite will continue to do everything it can to support its members during this stressful time.”
Halton Council released a statement saying: "Halton Transport is a company owned by the council as an 'arm's length' company and has been since 1986, when the law was introduced meaning councils could not directly run bus companies.
"Since then, Halton Transport has been required to operate on a commercial basis, which it has done successfully for many years.
"Unfortunately, over recent years, the trading environment has become more difficult."
The council said it was working hard with other providers to make sure that essential services were maintained, but added: "There will inevitably be disruption."