Great Britain

Dog undergoes emergency surgery after swallowing 34 Christmas decorations

A seven-year-old labrador has undergone two lifesaving operations after gorging on more than 30 home-made gingerbread Christmas tree decorations.

Owner Rachael Bulmer, from Bournemouth, rushed her pet Marley to the PDSA Pet Hospital in the Dorset town after it became seriously ill where vets performed emergency surgery on it to remove ribbons attached to the biscuits.

Ms Bulmer, 37, said: “I had been baking gingerbread tree decorations, and left them in gift bags on the kitchen counter side, ready to give as Christmas treats.

Download the new Indpendent Premium app

Sharing the full story, not just the headlines

“I thought I'd left them safely out of reach, but when I noticed some were gone, I instantly knew who had taken them.

“Over the years Marley's been no stranger to eating things he shouldn't and usually they pass through.

“But this time he started acting strangely and looked like he was going into shock. He was violently sick and brought up some of the ribbon.”

During the operations which lasted three hours, the vets managed to remove 34 decorative ribbons which had been attached to the tree decorations and which were causing a potentially fatal blockage.

They also found that Marley had swallowed a number of bones which had also become lodged in its stomach.

PDSA senior vet Aoife Clancy said: “It was a lengthy, high-risk surgery. Marley's chances of surviving the night were looking poor, so he was transferred to the out-of-hours provider, Vets Now, so he could be cared for overnight.

Marley had gorged on 34 of the gingerbread decorations with ribbons attached (PA)

“Thankfully he pulled through but needed critical round-the-clock care for four days before he could go home.”

Ms Bulmer said: “There were so many times we thought that was it, and with the heaviest of hearts, we were preparing to say goodbye to him. But he kept on fighting, and somehow, made it through surgery- he really is our miracle dog.”

Marley has now been brought home for “strict cage rest” and is beginning to recover.

Ms Bulmer added: “I don't know what I would have done without the incredibly kind and caring staff at PDSA - they were phenomenal.

“They went above and beyond for him and I will be forever grateful. We've not moved from his side now he's finally at home and even sleep next to him at night. He's getting better and that's the best Christmas present I could ever want.”

The treatment has cost PDSA more than £2,000, paid for by public donations.

Ms Clancy said: “It's important that owners make sure decorations and toxic Christmas foods are safe from curious paws, as they can be incredibly harmful to our pets.

“Foods including mince pies, chocolate, onions, raisins, grapes, macadamia nuts, sage-and-onion stuffing and Christmas cake can all be fatal.

“Keep an eye out for signs including vomiting, diarrhoea, drinking excessively, shaking and restlessness. It's best to contact the vet as soon as you think your pet has eaten something they shouldn't, rather than waiting for symptoms.”

Press Association

Football news:

Liverpool will buy Jota for 41 million pounds. Wolverhampton will pay up to 13.5 million for Hoover
8 is Bavaria's favorite number. Now she beat Schalke: Gnabry scored a hat-trick, Sane scored 1+2, Lewandowski came up with an assist by rabona
Liverpool agreed a 5-year contract with Jota. The transfer amount could be 43 million euros
I left everything and went to the other side of the world for my favorite team. The heartwarming story of a Norwegian fan in love with Santos
Lewandowski scored in the 1st round of the Bundesliga in 7 seasons and repeated the championship record
Gnabry scored a hat-trick against Schalke
Lewandowski scored for Schalke in their 10th Bundesliga game in a row. This is a League record