Former Liverpool star Dirk Kuyt has hailed the club's response to the coronavirus pandemic, describing the lack of outward concern over the Premier League title as "admirable".

The Reds were just six points from a first league title in 30 years before the suspension of top-flight football last month.

Football was initially slated to return on April 3 before it was later pushed back to the end of this month with another postponement expected from the governing bodies when they reconvene.

Liverpool have moved to try and ease concerns across the Merseyside community since by donating towards local foodbanks, launching new schemes to help the vulnerable and ensuring their staff are paid during the absence of football.

A project known as LFC Connect was launched last month in an effort to encourage elderly people around the community to keep in touch and share any issues or worries they have..

With three games at Anfield being pushed back as a result of the enforced break, the Liverpool could pay out around £750,000 as they attempt to provide their workers with some stability over the coming weeks, also.

Last month, Liverpool, alongside the LFC Foundation and Red Neighbours, pledged to come together to back Fans Supporting Foodbanks by donating £40,000 in the absence of Premier League football.

Kuyt, who made 285 appearances across a six-year Anfield career, was full of praise for how the club are helping out those affected by the ongoing uncertainty as a result of the global COVID-19 issue.

And despite the Reds' hopes of a first league crown for three decades currently hanging in the air, Kuyt says Liverpool's lack of concern over their own sporting aims deserves credit during a worldwide public health crisis.

“Everything has to go now to stop the virus,” he wrote in his column for De Telegraaf, as translated by Sport Witness.

“Everything else is less important now, especially football. Besides, I’m not the right person to talk about that.

“Jurgen Klopp put it fantastically - football players and trainers are always asked for their opinion, but they don’t know everything. [We] rely on the experts.

“I also find it admirable how Liverpool is dealing with the current situation. The league title would not have escaped them."

A report earlier this week claimed the Premier League would consider a "World Cup-style" format to the conclusion of the division with teams based in their own camps in the Midlands and London across July.

Read More

Must-read Liverpool FC news

Kuyt said of the reported proposals: “The plan to complete the Premier League in World Cup form, in an enclosed part of London, is very interesting.

“But no matter how great the craving is after 30 years without a championship, you don’t hear anyone claim it.

“Everything is secondary to public health, and the choices of the experts are respected.”