The dad of a newborn baby boy who died after being shaken and suffering 71 rib fractures has been convicted of his murder.

Evil James Dean Clark, 31, from Warmley, south Gloucestershire, denied being responsible for the death of Sean Clark but was found guilty on Monday by a jury at Bristol Crown Court.

Little Sean was just 39-days-old when he was found unresponsive in his cot at Clark's home near Bristol on the morning of January 14 in 2018.

Post-mortem examinations were carried out and revealed the baby had been assaulted on at least three occasions during his short life, suffering rib fractures and head injuries.

Jurors at Bristol Crown Court heard Sean suffered serious rib injuries three days before he was the victim of a fatal attack.

Sean's mother, Helen Jeremy, 27, from Kingswood, South Gloucestershire, was acquitted of a charge of causing or allowing his death.

The evil dad was convicted at Bristol Crown Court (



Speaking after Clark was convicted, Superintendent James Riccio of Avon and Somerset Police, said: "James Clark is responsible for the most repulsive and hideous of crimes - the murder of a defenceless child.

"All of my team have been truly shocked at the lack of remorse shown by him throughout this investigation and subsequent trial which has taken more than three and a half years to conclude.

"The evidence showed quite clearly Sean was subjected to multiple assaults which had been committed on a number of separate occasions and we fought hard to secure the charges and compile the evidence to put in front of a court.

"As his father, he should have protected him not inflict pain and suffering on him."

Jeremy lived with Sean at her parents' home in Kingswood, Bristol, while Clark lived with his mum in Warmley, South Gloucestershire.

At weekends they would stay at each other's homes with Sean.

During the trial, jurors heard that Jeremy and Sean had gone to Clark's home on January 11 to stay for the weekend.

Hours after they arrived, Jeremy used her phone to search on Google about babies coughing up blood.

She also sent her mother text messages indicating concerns for Sean's welfare, saying he was crying a lot, particularly when he was picked up and during feeding.

On Sunday morning, Jeremy woke up to find Sean unresponsive in his cot and the emergency services were called.

Anne Hampshire, of the Crown Prosecution Service, said: "This was a tragic case where a very young child was the victim of several assaults, causing serious and ultimately fatal injuries.

"Only Clark knows exactly how Sean suffered those injuries and he maintained that he was not the cause.

"This case relied on evidence from some of the top medical experts in the country and was distressing case to investigate and for the jury to hear.

"The verdict demonstrates that the jury were satisfied that it was Clark who inflicted these injuries and they found him guilty of murder."

Clark will be sentenced on September 24.